Where is the Gearbox oil Filler.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jellison

Where is the Gearbox oil Filler (underneath).

It does not seem to be that obvious!

Front of the gearbox, its also the where you put a bent stick in to check the level, should be 5-10mm below the hole.
Reason its not obvious is gear oil is not a "service item" and box has no drain plug.
Having said that I changed mine when I did the clutch as the box was out.

JonB said:
Front of the gearbox, its also the where you put a bent stick in to check the level, should be 5-10mm below the hole.
Reason its not obvious is gear oil is not a "service item" and box has no drain plug.
Having said that I changed mine when I did the clutch as the box was out.
So if not changing the clutch (I might be soon - but if I was not), how can you change the gearbox oil? Or are you sayingyou can't and all you can do it top it up!!!

Thats about right, all you can do if you don't want to remove the box and really want to change the oil is pop out a drive shaft and try to flush that way. I believe the Ford answer is the oil will last the lifetime of the box, but most car manufacturers don't like their products to last too long, sort of spoils the new sales figures, lol.

Unbelieveable! Feels like it is tightening a bit - must be getting low. If clutch is replaced so it can be done then, then!

If not I'll do as you say, top up to 5-10mm below the hole.

Not like a real car then! Not sure how taking the gear box "off" helps you full it, is there access when it is pull back for filling?

Used to proper RWD cars with drain and fill holes in their boxes!

Hi, got my first Puma, last Monday, so found this thread whilst browsing. I'm just outside Sheffield. Most car boxes don't have drain points, but there is a device for draining oil, which sucks it out. I bought one to change the engine oil on a Smart. Cost about £35 from Ebay. Try searching for 'vacuum oil pump Smart'. It's a ball shaped tank and a vacuum pump, with a pipe to go down the dip stick hole. It should work through the fill hole of a gearbox, but I've not tried it yet. Hope this helps, if you're determined to change the gearbox oil.

its an 8mm allen key bolt, shouldnt ever need changing, just top up with fresh oil when some leaks out when changing clutch...

technically...i bet you could take battery and tray off and pull the breather out and top up from there....thatd prob be easier

cheers guys - do have one of those devices (for topping up proper gearboxes!!). I'll pop a bit more in this way then.

Back