Which brand of engine oil?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PUMA3

I was wondering what brand of oil people recommend for the 1.7 engine. I was thinking of buying
Castrol GTX, any suggestions?

C.

:cool:

Probably best to ask Damo what he put in it before unless you're doing a change. You don't want to be putting in fully synthetic if he's got semi synthetic in there.

Shell Helix HX7 AF 5W30 semi synth is what goes in mine, if that's any help.

oh is this the guy that bought damo motor off him thats a great car that is

so is it ok to use fully synthetic 5w30 as long as you already have this in your engine ?

Brian.

According to Ford themselves the correct oil is Ford Formula F. It's 5w30 fully synth and made by Castrol. It has additives to help protect the Nikasil bore liners.

That's good info, I was under the impression it had to be semi so no worries :grin:

The recommended Ford oil used to be Ford Formula E which was semi synthetic, but Ford stopped selling that.

Fully synthetic Ford Formula F is fine.

Just found this - I asked opieoils (nearly 6 years ago! :eek: ) if it was ok to run fully synthetic where Ford previously recommended semi specifically with regard to the nikasil in the engine bores. This is the answer I got;

Dal,

Thanks for the mail.

I would not really worry about the nikasil/synthetic issue as really, its not an issue. Synthetic is a broad word and many synthetics sold on the market are still 100% mineral base albeit very highly refined (including fords new synthetic). So without knowing what synthetic allegedly can cause these issues and what about the synthetic that can cause the damage then the general belief that synthetic is a bad idea, is miss leading...

I do not see any reason why a good quality syntnetic 5w-30 would cause any harm in the 1.7 Zetec, we have recommended and supplied synthetics to these for many years, especially modified track go'ers and competition cars.

Regards

Guy.

OPIE OILS

That's pretty deinitive then.

When I come to fitting my new 1.7 i'll be using Formula F, just for peace of mind and completeness really.

I use Formula F.
I went to my local Ford parts dept and the guy told me that's what I need for the FRP. He seemed to know what he was on about.
It's no more expensive than any other decent oil.
Also use it in the wife's 1.6.

I also use Formula F 5W30. I replace it every 10.000 km (instead of recommended 15.000) as at 10.000 km engine gets slightly metalic note to it. Then, with new oil she just purrs.

I have just used 5w30 halfords semi synthetic engine oil today with my puma oil change and shes sounds great will continue to use this while its still around. :)

Years ago now, my brother and I bought a 60 litre drum of Ford's 5w 30 fully synthetic to go in our Focus RS engines as we do regular oil changes. I think it worked out about £15 for 5 litres. Anyway, this oil came in a Q8 drum! Remember Ford don't make oil so will be outsourced, same with Halfords so will both be of a good standard. There's more difference between semi-synthetic and fully synthetic; the latter being better.

Still using the same drum we bought 5 years ago, shows how much the cars have been on the road! :roll: :lol:

Can anyone approve if this oil fits the Puma 1.7 engine or will do any harm to the engine?
https://www.championlubes.com/EN_EU/products/product_65607.aspx?cat=21412
I really need to stop believing shop sellers on their word (my bad), they told me this C3 fits my engine and now i am here reading on the site of champion this is the correct oil:
https://www.championlubes.com/EN_EU/products/product_65609.aspx?cat=21412
My bro already put the C3 with a new oil filter on the engine so in case it could do any harm we'll have to buy a new filter and oil, prety pissed off now..

Neither will harm your engine, so don't panic.

C3 oil has two benefits; it burns more cleanly, so that DPFs don't get full up with more soot than necessary, and it is designed to be used for extended service interval cars, ie. VAG cars with longlife service plans and GM cars that have 20K mile intervals.

Neither of those benefits will apply to the Puma engine, so it's not necessary to spend the extra money on it.

At the end of the day, oil is oil, and as long as the viscosity is correct, older petrol engines will take anything (except Rover V8s but that's another story). At work I use Triple QX 5w30 fully synth in 95% of the petrol cars (C3 in diesel) because it's the cheapest available from Euro, and never have an issue, even in Pumas.

What I'm trying to say is you won't kill your engine by putting in a slightly different oil (I use 20w50 mineral no probs), but if you want to be absolutely 100% correct and go for Ford recommended then get the Ford branded Formula F.

Back