why did you buy a puma? (any weird answers?)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^ I've heard not very well!

I was looking at doing an engine swap from my 1.8 Mk1 Focus up to a 2.0 however that just seemed too complex to be feasible. I then started looking for 2.0 Foci without much success. I suddenly thought - Oooh what about a Puma!? Looked up it's vital stats (for the 1.7 of course!) 125bhp, hmm thats about 10 less than the 2.0 Focus... I then saw that it weighed 200kg's less and instantly thought that i must have one! I'm not overly keen on the Puma's bum but the front end looks amazing especially in wide arch form! Saw the black 1.7 just down the road from me on eBay which also just happened to belong to a tech at my Dads work (TC Harrison St. Neots) and snapped it up! Haven't looked back since and have been thoroughly happy and absolutely itching to take it around a track :D

Garaging cars is pointless IMO Drive them, were talking about pumas, not a rare super dooper car. FRP i can see the logic, to a point. but from where im sitting there purpose is to be driven not sit in a garage.

Each to their own and all that :)

I guess the reason I've just bought mine was because i was going to buy one a 5 years ago and instead got a Zetec-S Fiesta

No after 5 months of driving a 20 year old subaru justy as a get me buy (local train station has closed so i have to drive to work in Manchester) and decided to sped some of the cash i was saving on a more modern a reliable decent car

Happend to be flicking through the local paper one night when the add caught my eye as did the price.

Went to see it, arranged some work (rear arch rust repaired and general tidy up) and did the deal.

I pick The Cat up next saturday.
Really cant wait now!!!

Mix of things really

First Car 2005 - Beige 1983 Mk1 Fiesta 950 - Loved the drive, everyone hated it, I loved it, felt nippy beleive it or not and it handled like a go-cart, every drive was a riot!

Second Car 2007 - Blue 1995 BMW 316i Compact - Bought it cheap, fixed it up, massive credability at uni, fun on the wet roundabouts, but a little to sensible there was no redline fun on the b roads.

2009 - So basically I wanted a smaller more chuckable car with a revvy motor, good handling and a good turn of pace. Tried a VTS, hated it, terrible build and gearbox. Tried a 106 GTI, as previous. Corsa 1.8 SRi, it was very Vauxhall like, rubbish. So I went back to my Ford roots, fancied a Fiesta but couldn't find anything decent then my first Puma came up, drove it, loved it, bought it! Then in July my aunties Puma came up for grabs, so now I have it and the better half has the first one! Matching cars, sad eh?

The Puma wipes the floor with its cmopetitors, in terms of a balance between looks, speed and handling you still struggle to beat it.

my first puma X788 ABR

Story
-----

I was hunting for my first car and was looking at a ford ka. having picked out a suitable ka, i went down to have a look at it. when I got there the engine of the KA i looked at was full of grease and odviously not well looked after. disgrunted I looked across the show room and saw a green looking car which I can tell is a coupe but not sure what model of car or what make it is.

After requesting a test drive and testing it and checking out all other areas of it, I paid £3.5 grand for it and collected it on the spot. never looked back since. Since then I have been on pumapeople and withing a month of owning the puma, attended the leicestershire meet and met jacko (trying to sell me a ford manual cover :p) Benf, pumapilot, andy (was suppose to be organizing together with benf, colin (with his ladder :)), sarah with her red RX8, cherie :) (who said she is not going to follow me again after I got about 4 people lost :p) Neil (waiting at a turn for stranglers who are lost), Mort666 aka paul (who overtook me, must be i am going tooo slow :().

All good memories.. after the puma was written off I got the current black puma and was a part time owner of a red frp.

Because I needed to downgrade from a 172 that was falling apart and costing me too much in insurance my reason because I am now at University and do not need the Clio and need the cashback the Puma offered me more!

It was a choice between a Mondeo, Focus, Puma and Fiesta

Decided to go against getting a Focus as I've already had one, the Fiesta didn't really interest me, the Mondeo was too big for my usage (fair bit of town driving on my route) so decided to go with a Puma which happened to be the most nippiest and fun out of that lot.

Insurance is 500 quid cheaper than my 172 and this car has full tax and mot (my clio had just ran out of both) and I got 500 quid cashback with the Puma so it seemed win win.

Loving the car so far, very nice to drive, gear change is fantastic and overall I like the character the Puma has. So yea they're my reasons!

e3silversurfer said:
.. meet and met jacko (trying to sell me a ford manual cover :p) Benf, pumapilot, andy (was suppose to be organizing together with benf, colin (with his ladder :)), sarah with her red RX8, cherie :) (who said she is not going to follow me again after I got about 4 people lost :p) Neil (waiting at a turn for stranglers who are lost), Mort666 aka paul (who overtook me, must be i am going tooo slow..

I guess I was totally forgettable there then :(

i was not sure if you were there :p. did you stay till the end at the noodle bar?? i remember having taken a photo of you trying to be funny but not sure if that was at the noodle bar.

there were a few others I cannot remember their names though and what they were doing. I know midnight blue was there as well. SK was there as well, and some others whom I am not sure of their names even until today.

Trying to be funny?

:( *sigh* :(

I was at the noodle bar as well yes - I was facing the back wall in the middle.

well you did not come "up close and personal" on that day :p only people who interacted with me on that day are fresh on my mind.

hmmm still remembered Midnight B got a puma necklace, I was sitting next to colin and i had to translate what the waiteress said to ben, colin and MB when odering their food :p

Dal said:
Trying to be funny?

:( *sigh* :(

I was at the noodle bar as well yes - I was facing the back wall in the middle.
I was between you and the wall, or don't you remember that? :( :p

I was wearing a hooded top with some chinese writing on it - I was getting seriously paranoid it was a swear word or something insulting!

Cherie said:
I was between you and the wall, or don't you remember that? :( :p

Were you there? :?:

Of course I remember silly, but didn't know if Elvin did so no point saying "Opposite Cherie" eh?... xx

e3silversurfer said:
well you did not come "up close and personal" on that day :p only people who interacted with me on that day are fresh on my mind.

hmmm still remembered Midnight B got a puma necklace, I was sitting next to colin and i had to translate what the waiteress said to ben, colin and MB when odering their food :p

Nice to be remembered, Elvin :wink: .. and I still have the silver 'Puma' logo on the chain :D

Latest posts

Back