Wildcat Project - First Plan

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gargravarr

Hi all.

Wildcat's currently off the road pending some MOT repairs, and I don't have a job so I have no income as of now, but I want to outline the mods I want to make to it to give myself some incentive to get a good job! :D

Wildcat's in fairly good condition, so it would probably be a good basis for modifying. I know I'm fairly young (23 next month) but I would love to customise the car, make it really mine. It's going to be an everyday driver, so I don't want to make any loud mods. I prefer my customised stuff to look like it came from the factory. I might do some track days in future, and I would love to take it around the Nurburgring just to say I have! :)

Pictures of Wildcat as it is are in my gallery. So, here's what I've got in mind (not necessarily in order of priority):

Bodywork
  • Fix the front driver's wing; there's been a front-end collision at some point and the bumper doesn't line up
    A small spoiler, not a massive F2 thing like I've seen on a few other Pumas, but something that adds to the image (if not the downforce!). Something like the small MD Design ones
    Biggest cosmetic change - some kind of 'Wildcat' art (probably based on the Puma logo) airbrushed on the bonnet and doors, in light grey on the silver body so it's only visible up close

Chassis
  • Convert the rear brakes to discs, purely for ease of replacing pads! Want the ABS to work properly though
    Fix the rust spots and rear arches, which haven't rusted badly
    17" wheels, with the same 15-spoke design as the Thunder alloys (really like 'em)
    Perhaps lowering slightly
    Bonnet scoop (as detailed below)
I don't want to put a body kit on it. No offense to those who have body kits, but I think it makes the Puma look fat! <hides>

Engine
  • Biggest modification of all: turbocharge it. I know the insurers won't want to know, so this'll be on the back burner for a couple of years, but I would love to see how much power one can squeeze out of the 1.7. I've seen professional fittings claim to raise the power to 240BHP without rebuilding the engine.
    Move the battery out of the engine bay into the boot to make space for the turbo
    Clean up the engine bay and paint the intake manifold matte black
Although the turbo will greatly raise the power, I'm keen to see if I can raise the fuel economy by doing so, because obviously higher mass of (intercooled) air = better combustion, and since I do a lot of motorway driving, in my mind it makes sense. At least, that's what I'll be telling the insurers. The fact that it'll make Wildcat into a formidable track-day car is merely a bonus ;)

I'm not being too ambitious in the scheme of things, though perhaps a little for my first ever mod. Like I've said, I want to keep the mods fairly subtle, the sort where they're only apparent if you're looking for them. I like the idea of waiting at lights, someone besides me thinks, 'oh a little Puma, they're okay cars, let's race off the line!', I step on the throttle and they realise the 'little Puma' is riding on a cruise missile!

So, this is a long-term project and will obviously be refined over time. This is a vague initial design and idea dump. What do you guys think, am I barking mad? :D

Gargravarr

No you're not barking mad... a lot of us already have similar if not the same ideas as you... i'm sure a few of the members on here can inspire you and help you out along the way :) keep us updated with the build :eek:k:

Regarding the engine and the 240 without rebuilding the engine, i assume you mean forged internals. Mines just been done without forged internals and i'm pushing 238bhp.

Flying Scotsman said:
Regarding the engine and the 240 without rebuilding the engine, i assume you mean forged internals. Mines just been done without forged internals and i'm pushing 238bhp.

<whistles>

Yep, that's what I meant. Can't remember exactly where I saw the mod, but that sounds right. 238BHP from a 1.7l four-cylinder is frikkin' impressive already, but apparently with forged internals and presumably higher compression, the itty bitty Sigma is capable of 290BHP.

I took particular note of this mod, because my parents have a Jaguar XJS with a V12, and that develops 295BHP. I would oh so love to run Wildcat and Big Cat side by side ;)

One thing I realised is that MOAR POWA does nothing to raise the car's top speed. It'll still redline at 6750RPM (probably lower for a safety margin, unless the forged internals can raise it), which in fifth gear will still limit the top speed to 126MPH. Is it doable to change the gear ratios and make the most of this extra power?

Ginger Tom said:
O yes, if you gonna be running tht sort of power the ib5 won't like it, most go to an mtx75 box out of the focus
Didn't think of changing the gearbox itself, but I'll add it to the list! :D

Yes you can change the ratios, thats my next step that im approaching, but using a focus box with st150 internals and a good lsd. As for the 6750rpm, having it well mapped will see it over that.I think mine went to about 7200rpm on the rockingham straight. As for the 290, I still reckon you can breach the 300 mark, and that will be my next years upgrade after i have the rest of the car sorted.

Sounds like good plans, I can't see you increasing fuel economy by turbo charging your car though... I know company's are now opting for turbo charged engines in modern cars but you either get performance or economy... Not both im afraid.

PumaJay said:
Sounds like good plans, I can't see you increasing fuel economy by turbo charging your car though... I know company's are now opting for turbo charged engines in modern cars but you either get performance or economy... Not both im afraid.
Thanks. It's worth a shot from the insurance POV :D

Flying Scotsman said:
Oh yes I will vouch for what Jay says... I did 20 miles to quarter of a tank....
:shock: And here's me worrying over less than 90 miles to a quarter-tank!

Flying Scotsman said:
Oh yes I will vouch for what Jay says... I did 20 miles to quarter of a tank....

Yea but to be fair you don't even TRY to drive economically :lol:

If you want i'll take yours out and see how many miles I get out of a quarter of a tank :p i'm sure it could do with being taken out for a little spin :lol:

gargravarr said:
PumaJay said:
Thanks. It's worth a shot from the insurance POV :D

the insurance dont care how econimcal your car is...

you cant tell them you've turbo'd your puma and then say, but it does 50mpg, the only thing they'll car about is the turbo..... turbo = power, no one turbo's there car because they want a better mpg on the motorway cruise.

kinda doesnt work like that im afraid.

Ah well Jay, I'll just have to have some fun with it then! Give it a year or so, so I can get it insured for not-crazy money

Here's an idea... keep it off the road, get a well paid job, buy a cheap run around, build up the puma, turn it into a beast, use it for track day fun only! :grin:

^^^^ that's what I do, drive a shed of a focus diesel around and keep the puma on a mileage limited policy and use if for sunny weekends and track days.. Wise advice is that!

How much is your insurance if you don't miner asking.. When I was 23, only 3 years ago like, I paid £550 to insure mine with all mods declared and 3 points, but the best part of being over 25 is I now insure both my cars for that price!

Back