Winter driving in a Puma

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beko1987

This is my first winter driving, let alone in a puma! I have a few questions..

When one does loose control and slide (god forbid!), what is the best course of action? In theory, I should leave the brakes well alone and drop down the gears until I either stop or regain control. Is this correct?

I haven't really driven this week. However, I did defrost the car tonight and go for a drive as the main roads are pretty clear here (didn't snow that heavily, and the roads were drying up the same day and have stayed dry), I heard alot of what sounded like glass creaking when the car was stone cold. I put this down to the ice flexing and cracking, please tell me I'm not hearing the beginnings of something expensive!? My windows already move slowly, and the drivers side top seal is folding in rapidly :-(

My screen wash freezes. I have the pink halfords was in it at quite a high ratio. Is it just normal or am I doing something wrong?

My windows freeze shut! Am I ok to just keep trying them until they crack free and move or should I just leave them alone? I know I should really be doing the latter but needs must when the car is steaming up! (fnarr-fnarr)

The ABS sensor grind thing at 15mph seems louder. Paranoia!?

I've got used to the engine sounding like my old 200k 206 diesel now!

1st off, warm the car up fully before setting off, and clear all the windows.

If a lot of snow on roof & bonnet, clear it off.

Moving off, use 2nd gear, gentle on the revs, maintain clutch control to prevent spinning the wheels.

if driving on snow, or ice as it now outside, drive only as fast, as the space the car needs to stop using the resistance in the engine, or gears if that fast.

even the slightest use of brakes can cause you to slide (in a straight line, inst good when a corner in the road)

do you know the 2 sec rule well in icy conditions use the ten sec rule, that is maintain a gap of 10 sec to the car in-front

Same here! I was going nice and slowly well behind other cars, and someone would just come right up my rear quarter! It's nice though when everyone stays well apart and move slowly! Went faster tonight to the shops than on a clear dry run as everyone let each other out, kept distance which meant no random braking that magnifies the further down the queue it goes!

<and back to the real world>

In my area people seem to think that there is safety in numbers as they bunch up as tight as they can in snow & ice :roll:

If you are really interested in driving in 'extreme' conditions I believe there are courses you can do e.g. IAM

if you do get abit stuck- don't use the accelorator- just lift the clutch to biting pointing point then bring it slowly past it- never failed to get Bee out of any issues at all ( and my clurch is getting towards a change so a healthyone will be fine)

the abs check does sound louder in the cold weather- dunno why- but don't worry.

Drive however you feel comforatable.

if you brake and feel the wheels lock and hear the abs trigger, realese the brake slightly, then re-apply gently.

Never touch the hyand brake till your completly stopped.

Don'tuse your wipers till the window is full clear of ice- this damges them. Clean your wipers as well when de-icing your car.

RE the washer fluid- the moter will freeze stuck- some times the thaw out on the drive in- sometimes they won't.

Slow down your driving- but not to the point of endangering others were you won't be able to control the car in slow slides.

Don't drive like BMW drivers

Stay out of the way of HGV's- they struggle to stop at the best of times- so in this sort of conditions its even worse for them.

be carefull if your on a main road that has small side streets leading on to it- these may not have been gritted or cleaned and as such a car can slide out at anytime with out warning ( most likley a BMW due to the driver thinking his ultimate driving machine is the best and will save him)

Be carefull of X5's, X6's, Old Merc M Class's, Porsche Cayne Turbos/ V8's, VW Toerags and all other wanna be SUV's- they are big heavy and not good off road due to to much tyre contact`- in snow its even worse. If you spot one, stop and get out of your car- behind a wall is a good idea.

Adopt the christian motoring attitude and think of Karma- let everyone out and at some point one of the 10 may thank you for it.

Ignore wankers who tail gate- if they hit the back of you its always there fault.

Make sure you have a fully charged mobile phone- with credit if on PAYG- To contact anone if you get stuck or have a accident

Always stop for amber lights.

Try not to park faceing uphill

I'll add more when i remember but thats about it from my view :thumbs:

I have a simple one for driving in snow.....don't ;)

Have just got off my arse and walked round the shop for milk, noticed quite a few idiots wheelspinning their cars for the fun of it which is really helpfull to other road users...NOT.

Also saw a kid on a motor scooter come broadsiding out of a side road - a la speedway style - and then tear arse down an icy road!!!. I'm expecting to read or hear about some kid on a bike who fell off or got hit by a car in the next few days!!

crystalpuma said:
Scotty1.7 said:
Don't drive like BMW drivers

LOVE IT :twisted:

To be fair, it's mainly Audis round here who drive like tits, but BMWs are terrible too! I always notice people giving me a wide berth when I take my Mum's Z3 out for a spin - although I will NOT be attempting to drive that thing in the snow lol.

I didn't get my Puma sold in sept but I'm glad because compared to the 406 Coupe that replaced it, it is great in the snow.

My winter driving tip is; if you smell something like garlic bread don't be alarmed.....its the clutch cooking itself. :)

"Adopt the Christian motoring attitude and think of Karma- let everyone out and at some point one of the 10 may thank you for it."

This one I have to object to. There is NOTHING more dangerous than someone who has right of way, stopping to allow someone out of a side road etc. Moreso in slippery conditions.

If you have right of way, take it. If someone pulls up on a main road and or starts flashing lights, IGNORE them. It is for YOU to decide when it is safe to pull out, not them (crucial safety issue when it is a motorcyclist on the side road). I appreciate it is regarded as courteous but you have to remember that other drivers may not be aware of it and will not appreciate having to avoid an accident situation.

If there a car coming up hill and I have right of way, I will always let them come through. Alot easier to get going down hill than it is up hill

That's perfectly right and proper behaviour. Traffic coming uphill has right of way.

The point I am trying to make is that driving not in accordance with the Highway Code is dangerous, because others do not expect to have a stationary vehicle in the carrigeway etc. As I am a motorcyclist as well, it is something that really affects me. If I am turning right from a main road into a side road, I will be at the crown of the road indicating. Very often some clown will pull up and flash their lights, (I assume they mean "turn in front") which has two dangers..

1) They might actually have been flashing their lights because

a) They just spotted Auntie Nelly
b) They are warning of a hazard
c) Their headlight switch is faulty etc.

So the danger there is of a collision which would be my fault entirely.

2) Somebody coming up the main road may attempt to overtake or may not see the clown that has stopped. Danger of a collision.

When I am making a manouvre like that, I am looking well ahead and working out when it is safe to do so. Someone pulling up cocks all that up too!

Fair point. I do let people out sometimes but only when there is a lot of traffic so they'd practically never get out if I didn't. This is people turning left though so a lot safer. I still expect them to check it is safe, just as I would check whenever anyone let's me out. I hate being let out to the right as I feel obliged to go but you often can't see if it is safe...

And therin lies the problem.. You feel obliged to go before you feel comfortable doing so. It takes a lot more confidence to sit and ignore them, but I do that as standard now. Seems worse if I am waiting to turn right onto a main road and someone is wanting to turn right INTO the side road. They seem incapable of turning into the road without cutting the corner, so sit before the junction and flash headlights.

Latest posts

Back