winter wheels and tyres

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

200sxman

I'm looking to put steel wheels with winter tyres on the car. Ford say they should be 14" and the tyres 165/65 R 14. Problem is I don't known which steel wheels are required, and the tyre companies that are offering wheel and tyre deals don't seem to know either as they do not call back with an offer. So can anyone help?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-winter-wheels-FORD-Puma-165-65-R14-79T-KLEBER-/301338539956?pt=UK_CarParts_Acc_Wheels_tyres_Rims_Car_Wheels_ET&hash=item46292d37b4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Watch the offset. They are normally around the et40 mark.

I got f2 style split rims and just banged 195/55/15 on. I needed this rim to clear the st150 calipers.

It is ace with the correct rubber on.

Don't go for ditchfinder rubber. Hankook icept work well on the puma.

uniroyal rainsport 3 was what I went for for this winter....
Its just started pelting rain here in Ireland the last 3 days so took em for a test in the rain...
All I can say is they are the dogs dangles....
Heavy braking is very good...No abs kicking in...
A tiny bit of wheelspin at standing start with a reasonable amount of throttle.
They carve through standing water well without tearing the steering wheel out of your hands..
And cornering grip is very good..Its yet to step out from under me..

Hi,thanks for all the replies. Excuse my ignorance but what are F1 original wheels, are they steel and what are they off? Thanks

Optional alloy and standard (i think) on the puma black

Looks like a split rim with a row of fake rivets round the rim.

Mondeo came on them as well but with a different offset.

If you have 240 or 260mm disc brakes any standard wheel will do.

You need thunder, f1 or 9 spoke Millie type wheels to clear st150 280mm discs. The propeller type wheel is not dished enough to clear the caliper, despite having the correct offset of et34

The F1 wheel was used on the Black models.
Its a multispoke alloy with fake plastic bolts to make it look like a modular design.
Very nice they are too, I have compared std 9 spoke, propeller, milly 9 spokes and F1 wheels on my trackcar and I recon these are the strongest.
It's standard Puma size (15x6j et34) they were also fitted to some mk1 Mondeos, but those have the wrong offset (et40)

As a solution to your 'winter wheels' search
Id go for a cheap (but straight) puma alloys and fit 185/55 or 195/50 Rainsport 3's or similar.
You'll not get steels with the correct offset and this will badly affect the Pukas handling, especially in winter conditions.

I hope this is helpful, Stu..

fairlight said:
You need thunder, f1 or 9 spoke Millie type wheels to clear st150 280mm discs. The propeller type wheel is not dished enough to clear the caliper, despite having the correct offset of et34

….so you need a 3 mm spacer

Wild E. Coyote said:
fairlight said:

….so you need a 3 mm spacer

Or the right wheels without spacers :)

Our thunder has a 3mm spacer in with the jack etc, the spare is a prop so God knows what became of the original spare.

Does anyone know if a thunder had a steel spare or a matching alloy when new?

Guessing a wheel could have been damaged and replaced with the spare, which was then replaced with a prop wheel?

Ford recommend a 5.5 X 14 wheel with 43.5 offset for the 165/65-14 winter tyres.

The fiesta ys61-ca alloys would be perfect

i would get a set of standard puma alloys, fit them with winter tyres,

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=110&cart_id=82500950.110.29289&sowigan=Wi&Breite=195&Quer=50&Felge=15&Speed=&kategorie=6&Marke=&ranzahl=4&tyre_for=PKW&x_tyre_for=&rsmFahrzeugart=PKW&search_tool=standard&Label=E-C-71-2&details=Ordern&typ=R-167364

after winter, stick your other alloys back on

I am using winter tyres in standard dimension of 195/50 R15 on standard props and no issues whatsoever, in fact the car feels more balanced on them (michelin alpine A4) than on goodyear efficient grip performance I use the rest of the year; i.e. the rear end is more stable and not so easy to step out as on summer tyres

Back