Zetec / ST170 engine into puma

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob1679

The age old zetec 2.0 v zetec se 1.7 debate.
Don't do it ! is what you see on the net ,the extra weight will ruin the handling, which is a fair comment.
So... zetec se is quoted at approx 81 kg and the 2.0 Blacktop Zetec is approx 100 kg, which you may have calculated already is 19 kg extra over the front wheels.
Strip the air con pump out 5kg?, air con rad 3kg? , shift the 5 kg battery into the boot, chuck the strut top weights (as I already have) 1kg each and you are nearly there.
I love the racing spec 1.7 engine , its just that Ive got another puma, a ST170 engine, spare gearbox to use internals out of and more than anything else im BORED

Well it'll certainly keep you busy thats for sure.

I didn't follow the consensus and fitted the FRS engine. ST170 engine is a great engine and I don't know of a Puma with a genuine ST170 in it so be the first perhaps!? It also responds really well to turbocharging at a later date if you get the engine re-built with lower comp pistons etc. as you can make use of the VCT.

My FRS engine came on a pallet with all ancillaries and was tagged 154 kgs :eek: Some of the ancillaries have gone but it's not a light engine due to the cast iron block. The ST170 engine is meant to be a better version of the FRS one as it was developed later. There's nothing really special about the FRS engine apart from some subtle head differences (from std 2.0) I'm told and slapping on a turbo.

You'll need a lot of time and a lot of money too.

Why not remove that weight from the 1.7 and make it handle even better?! You could always put throttle bodies on it, I suppose the question is is how much power do you want, what's your budget, and what do you want the car for? Plus the gearbox from st170 is huge, and you will need to modify chassis legs

The other thing to consider is that even when they were new ST170s rarely had 170hp most had 160 if you were lucky

But it's great supercharged or turbo'd.

Don't all be Debbie downers! :lol:

Is the fact that it actually ruins handling based on fact or just because it adds more weight?

Don't want a turbo car , prefer N/A , the weight issue mainly is the effect on handling , I would use an Ib5 gearbox not the 6 speed st170.
I have thought about fitting jenvey direct to head bodies to the 1.7 but how much bang for buck will they give over a frp inlet??

If your going to the effort of fitting something different why not chuck in a Honda 2.2, plus I don't think a st170 black co will fit on a ib5, the starter is a different side

Fiesta 1.3 endura ib5 casing matches black top zetec , already own a VTEC engined car and don't want that type of power delivery - very 10/10ths

Wanna keep it ford to be honest , jenvey direct to head bodies for the 1.7 readily available but an aftermarket ECU needs vct control on it , off the top of my head I don't think the emerald one is full vvt compatible but the omex 710 not the 600 has this feature = ££££

I think you're making it hard for yourself?

Just dump the ST170 engine in and be done with it. Can always add TBs later and will be better than the 1.7 IMO.

Omex 710 is much better; I have the 600. Looking to change to Syvecs though.

Has anyone considered using a Toyota 2zz unit?.They aren't a heavy unit and 190 bhp NA.Plenty of info with superchargers added and quite happy delivering up to 300 bhp with no internal mods.Weakest part is gearbox 3rd and 4th gears but that's normally when they are in a rear mounted chassis with more than 200 ft.lbs. torque.Also would suit the Puma chassis with the ability to rev to 8k rpm

Back