Indicator relay

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

A while ago, I replaced my front indicator bulbs with orange LED's.

As there is less current being drawn through the circuit, the indicators flashed quicker (like there was a blown bulb).
So, to slow it down, I connected in the original bulbs back up as well, taped the bulbs over with insulation tape, and tucked them away.

Now, keeping the original bulbs tucked away isn't a problem. But I would like to know if it is possible to buy a different relay which will work with the lower current. If so, any recommendations...?
I'm wondering how the people have got around this who have converted their rear lights to LED's....

I initially tried connecting a resistor or two (560 ohm), but it made no difference. So I tried a few more..... but made the decision to give up when I got to ten!! :shock:

Just get a flasher relay for LED's.
I've just fitted on of these to my Puma. It's slightly longer than the standard one and needed a very small amount of material removed (Dremel) from the assembly to fit it.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fix-LED-Flasher-Unit-3-Pin-Relay-LED-Bulbs-Indicators-/130475588802?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1e60f37cc2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cheaper ones are also available on eBay, which may be shorter.
Mines working fine with standard bulbs at the moment, whilst awaiting LED bulbs.

test the resistance across a standard bulb using a multimeter and bobs your uncle

That relay is exactly the thing I was looking for.. I didn't know there was such an item! Thanks for the information!!

I got one of these relays weeks ago and only got round to fitting it today, but it didn't work.

I later found out I bought the wrong one.. :oops: I got the CF13 not the CF14 as linked by YOG. The + and - terminals were round the wrong way.

That didn't stop me though... I pulled the top off, un-soldered the middle contact, removed the insides and swapped it round. I then connected the middle contact back using a small bit of wire.

Hey presto.. c**k up sorted... it now works!! And it was the exact same size as the original relay!

Back