Left indicator problem

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PumaHammer

Hi people,

A couple of days ago I changed my headlight bulbs, and now my left indicator is on the blink :roll:

I have tried a new bulb, but it's not that so I was wondering whether there is more then one fuse/relay for the indicators as all the others work?

When I indicate left, the rear and side flash really fast, so does that mean I have a short?

Am crap with electrics, so any help or advice would be great.

Cheers,

Steve.

If other indicators on same side are working (ie flashing fast as you say) it is most likely a bad earth or loose bulb.

Try wiggling the wire or the bulb see what happens, sometimes all it needs is taking out, quick clean of contacts in the mount and putting back in again

Ah you know what, that's the only thing I didn't try, cleaning the contacts lol Tried a couple bulbs, wiggled the wires about but to no avail.

Cheers mate, will give it a clean tomorrow.

Steve.

The front headlight earth is close to underneath it. You sure the lamp is ok? Sometimes they look ok but can be blown, best to do a continuity check on them.

Cheers mate, All lights are working fine.

Tried a new relay and fuses and the relay kinda buzzes mad, but the hazards don't work and the indicators still the same really.

Could it be that I need a new stalk?

Doubt if the stalk will have any affect on the hazards, also a duff stalk would put all the indicators on one side out not just one of them. Buzzing relay could mean its not connected right or its wrong relay

Given that you have replaced relay/fuses etc it still looks to me like an earth fault or a short somewhere, are you sure there are no trapped wires anywhere?
Failing that is one of the wires maybe missing a bit of insulation as that is all it would take to short one indicator out.

Bodgey suggestion.....run a live wire (from battery terminal if needed) to the indicator that is out see if it comes on...if it comes on then the problem is power supply related, if it fails to light up then its back to an earth problem

Ah ok mate, cheers.

Now, I am crap with auto electrics so please bear with me lol

What wire would I need? Also, what colour wire do I attach it to at the bulb holder please?

Cheers,

Steve.

Could you connect the other headlight in it's place and see if that one works ok in the same side?

OK. New stalks as I got some for a fiver - no joy, as said, but I thought might be worth a try.

I tried the opposite side unit and the indicator flashed, so it is getting power. There is a black lead, about 3/4mm thick, underneath, bolted to the subframe. I could unbolt it, so cut it as near to the bolt as possible and re-attached it to the inside of the passenger wing, about 8 or so inches from the headlight.

Still not working, and still no hazards or horn. I have sprayed stalks as well.

Getting really fed up now, I hate being stumped!!

When you put the other headlight on the 'faulty' side, did the lights work and the indicator flashed at the correct speed?
If it all worked correctly, the fault should lay within the 'faulty' headlight itself.

This is a weird issue because the horn is earthed on to the chassis leg/metalwork and shouldn't theoretically be affected by the headlight.

And going back to your original post, if the side and rear flashed really fast, that would have been caused by the front not working.
The flasher relays rely on all bulbs working to flash at the correct speed. If one bulb blows or doesn't work the flasher relay goes mad!

The hazards are different as all 6 indicators flash at once.

I didn't put that light on the 'faulty' side, for some reason I had a brain fart and put the 'faulty' side unit on the good side,which flashed as it should so the unit is good.

The front left doesn't flash when I indicate left, but the side and rear are really fast. When I indicate right, all works fine.

I have found a nick in one of the wires that go into the 7 pin multi-plug that connects to the headlight unit. So will will be looking into that today, as I ran out of time yesterday :-(

I WILL GET THIS SORTED!! :)

moondustka said:
[post]348418[/post]
PumaHammer said:
[post]348413[/post] I WILL GET THIS SORTED!! :)

:thumbs: at least you have the right attitude :grin:

Indeed. Although a couple of weeks ago, if my mechanic had turned up it would all be done by now lol

PumaHammer said:
[post]347194[/post] A couple of days ago I changed my headlight bulbs, and now my left indicator is on the blink
On reading this thread, the symptoms suggest that this is still where the root of the problem lays. I suspect a shorting +ve feed wire going to the front left indicator bulb connector.

I say shorting, because it would appear that you have also blown Fuse 5 (blue 15A) which supplies the horn and hazards.

Frank said:
[post]348437[/post]
PumaHammer said:
[post]347194[/post] A couple of days ago I changed my headlight bulbs, and now my left indicator is on the blink
On reading this thread, the symptoms suggest that this is still where the root of the problem lays. I suspect a shorting +ve feed wire going to the front left indicator bulb connector.

I say shorting, because it would appear that you have also blown Fuse 5 (blue 15A) which supplies the horn and hazards.

You annoy me, clever people like you lol

I was lying in bed last night thinking about it (good job I am off work for a couple of weeks!!) and I remembered I didn't change the blown fuse which was number 5 lol

So, I now have the horn :p and hazards, now I have a new fuse in there.

Today I will sort the suspect wire out and I will be so over the moon if it all works :)

The best thing about all this, I will have saved money and maybe learned not to be too scared to try and fix something myself :)

Here's hoping...............................

Latest posts

Back