Evening all, whitby calling...

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kungfugerbil

So, after reading about half of the internet pages about pumas (well, almost) I decided one must be in my life. What's more we've recently moved so I now have a big drive/carport/garage for spannering on. Woop.

After looking at a disappointing and overpriced example and rejecting all those that were located in another hemisphere ,I was getting rather despondent. I decided to drown my sorrows in eBay and spotted an interesting '02 plate just round the corner from my brother's gaff in Sheffield.

As the auction only had a couple of hours left and it was well past tea time, I had a blind punt on it then went to wrestle my two-year-old into a sleeping state. After convincing him it was indeed night time ("look outside if you don't believe me!") and that bedtime did in fact apply to him and he wasn't exempt due to European legislation, I settled down with a cuppa and 'the walking dead' to calm my nerves.

Sure enough I'd won the auction (yay) and went to pick it up today...

Good things

It starts, stops and turns corners
It has 9 months test
It's had a cambelt and a cat in the last year
It has four matching decent tyres
The bodywork is generally pretty smart
The interior is minty

Bad things

The clutch is tired
The engine needs a little love
The standard issue rust scabs are present, though small
The last advisory warned of corrosion...

On the whole, delighted :D. Need to get it home and up on stands this weekend to assess it properly though.

Quick pic:

vOsbSue.jpg

Skippy said:
Have you been up on the moors with it yet? :wink:

I'm stuck in sheffield until Sunday so the cracking driving roads over the moors will have to wait ;). I'm reluctant to drive it too enthusiastically until I've checked it over myself at the weekend - a current MOT doesn't always mean a car is safe and reliable :D

When I come back from Leeds or Sheffield I always look forward to the last stretch between Pickering and Whitby - it's like a special stage with all the ups, downs and twisties :cool:

Kungfugerbil said:
After convincing him it was indeed night time ("look outside if you don't believe me!") and that bedtime did in fact apply to him and he wasn't exempt due to European legislation, I settled down with a cuppa and 'the walking dead' to calm my nerves.
:lol: :lol:
Great introduction! Welcome to Project Puma!

Kungfugerbil said:
a current MOT doesn't always mean a car is safe and reliable :D

When I come back from Leeds or Sheffield I always look forward to the last stretch between Pickering and Whitby - it's like a special stage with all the ups, downs and twisties :cool:

Very true. The sticking front brake on mine was cooking nicely on the back when I bought it. Lucky I'd spotted it beforehand so took it very easy with a couple of cooling stops. I only discovered the missing centre brake light when I got it in the garage!

The road up from Hutton Le Hole is my favourite.

Ah the A169 (I think) between Pickering and Whitby, one of my favourite roads on the bike but doesn't quite work in a car. Too much traffic and dips and rises that you can see over in the bikes you can't see in the cars.
Barry

tuonokid said:
Ah the A169 (I think) between Pickering and Whitby, one of my favourite roads on the bike but doesn't quite work in a car. Too much traffic and dips and rises that you can see over in the bikes you can't see in the cars.
Barry

Agreed - I think I probably make as good progress in the 4x4 as in a low-slung sportscar as I can see over the hedges and other cars. Familiarity helps - the look on the faces of folks as I go past three cars at a time as I know the 12 - 15 areas that are safe to pass and they don't :)

It also helps that I tend to do the run late on a night or early of a morning when there are no caravans, coaches or day trippers around :lol:

tuonokid said:
Ah the A169 (I think) between Pickering and Whitby, one of my favourite roads on the bike but doesn't quite work in a car.

Kungfugerbil said:
Agreed - I think I probably make as good progress in the 4x4 as in a low-slung sportscar as I can see over the hedges and other cars.

Agreed. - the 169 was great in the CR-V.
I'd suggest the Blakey Ridge route, or the B1257 up to Stokesley. It must be good, it's smothered in warning signs. Just a pain when you get stuck behind something.

Back