problem upgrading brakes

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LotsonG

Me and buddy have stripped a puma 1.7 and its ready to go round the track. The only problems we cook our 240mm brakes. How do we upgrade without changing the standard 15"alloys. Is it a straight swap from a focus, transit etc (260mm). The main problem we are encounting as we trying to do on the cheap are the callipers !
Regards to all......

LotsonG

not sure on the focus calipers but pumas have a 258mm standard brake setup on the later models (2000 onwards) so if you only want that size just get puma ones... I have some 258mm calipers for sale.

if you want 280mm get ST150 brakes but they're a bit more pricey.

300mm brakes work with the 9 spoke wheels once grinded down but I wouldnt do that if I was you.

Could try the st 24's 275mm brakes- same effect as the st150's- if a tad smaller- and there alot cheaper- or if you can find them the st200 brakes- basically the same

yeh i run mondeo st24 brakes on my puma powered fezzy. they are plenty strong enough! they fit under standard 15" wheels. all you need is the mondeo discs, claipers, pads, and a 5mm spacer behind the disc (confirm the size of spacer on a guide somewhere.....was a long time ago)

matt

churts said:
yeh i run mondeo st24 brakes on my puma powered fezzy. they are plenty strong enough! they fit under standard 15" wheels. all you need is the mondeo discs, claipers, pads, and a 5mm spacer behind the disc (confirm the size of spacer on a guide somewhere.....was a long time ago)

matt

As above, I also use 280mm st24/mondeo v6 brakes and have no problems with them fitting behind my standard 15" propellor style wheels, Also... I had a 3mm spacer made up for me but pumabuild/speed (one or other) make a propper one its about £28. Be aware there isn't much thread left on wheel bolts (i bought longer ones with plans on fitting lol)

Also I'd recommend unless you dont already having a set of Steel braided hoses. Give much better pedal feel.
I'd also use a better brake fluid will cope easier.

Back