HELP!!! cant get oil filter off

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLACK-RAIN

Was doing my first oil change since getting my puma. I have the front yp on axle stands. Ive drained the oil but when trying to remove the oil dilter it wont budge. Ive tried an oil filter wrench which did nothing. I tried the piercing it with a screwdriver but all its done is bend to screwdrivers without budging.

Either the screwdriver is too thin or a shit make or that is one stiff filter!
I use a thick stumpy screwdriver to undo mine

If its bending screwdrivers, you need bigger screwdrivers.

Could also try putting a drift on the left side of it and hitting that downwards to spin it.

Or if you're underneath, up on the right side.

Im thinking tomorrow i need to get more leverage. So im thinking of taking off the radiator and front bumper.

Shouldnt need to that that, hammer the biggest driver through to get the leverage to break the seal and use a stumpy one to do the rest

Its getting a good go at it is the problem. Theres that much pipe work in the way i can hardly move my hand.

yeah it can be a bitch, but when it's loose from the big driver and a turn with the little one it should be finger tight

(all this big, little and finger talk will attract Rob no doubt :-D )

I changed mine recently, and used a large pair of adjustable pipe grips. They didn't open enough to totally grip the filter, but enough to fit round to slightly squash it. This gave me enough purchase to turn the filter enough to do the rest by hand.
Had that had not have worked I would of used a screwdriver. I've had to do that on various cars and has never failed!

alexwilliams840 said:
(all this big, little and finger talk will attract Rob no doubt :-D )
mM4zL9E.gif

I tried a plumbers wrench before the screwdriver and didnt budge it. The filter looks like its been on for years. Alot pf surface rust around the top. When i drained the oil it was like treacle.

Step 1-Loosen the engine mounts :|
Step 2-get someone to hold the filter :|
Step 3-and turn the whole engine anti-clockwise :twisted:

Seriously though, i keep a heavy duty blade of a screwdriver for stubborn filters and knock it through til the same amount protruding both sides and apply an equal amount of pressure to both ends.
21Opq0BLq5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Back