Mk1 Focus RS powered Puma, now going RWD, JWRC

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bet that sump looks lovely Barry, would be interested to see a few pics! More a 'want' than a 'need' for me as there's nothing wrong with my current setup.

I guess in the FRS the sump is marginally lower than the gearbox but because the bottom is on a slope compared to the top the back of th gearbox is the lowest point for me. For an FRS (not sure about the other foci) the engine is tipped forward, but the sump and gearbox are flat at the bottom.

Ben

Hi Ben
I'm with you now, I'm not sure whether the Raceline sump would work on yours as I think it's so shallow it's only meant for vertical engine installations. If you accelerated hard or braked hard it might pull the oil away from the pick up.
Barry

So, on with the sump...

Stupidly didn't get a pic before I started attacking it, but there's a photo here of it on the car..

Just started with th wire wheels

And I kept going and going..

Cleaned off the sealing face

I then masked the sealing face and sprayed it with 2 coats of acid etch (sorry, no pic) and then 2 coats of white stonechip which looked nice I thought..

Until Dan came along and said I think that'll turn yellowey with the heat of the oil... So I then went for the standard colour of black, so 3 coats of black stonechip later, and 2 coats of lacquer..

I then fitted it tonight, having applied paints over the last few days and left it overnight last night.

That was the last thing letting the underside of the bay down, I think that's it now.

tuonokid said:
[post]350086[/post] Hi Ben
I'm with you now, I'm not sure whether the Raceline sump would work on yours as I think it's so shallow it's only meant for vertical engine installations. If you accelerated hard or braked hard it might pull the oil away from the pick up.
Barry

Hi Barry,

So, does that mean the engine in your Westfield will be tipped?

Mine is vertical so the cam cover is flat, but this means the sump and bottom of the gearbox slopes backwards. However in the FRS the engine is tipped forward, and this means the sump and gearbox are flat. With me?

So does the Raceline sump make the bottom flat with the engine vertical? From the limited pics I've seen, it wouldn't??

Thanks!

Hi Ben
Completely with you now yes in both our cases the rocker cover is horizontal. The raceline sump replaces both the steel and alloy parts of the original sump and is also horizontal. It also uses a completely different system for the oil pick up which is why it's so shallow.
Barry

http://www.raceline.co.uk/products/part_section.asp?SectionID=40&CategoryID=2

So both ours have sloped bottoms, and by fitting the Raceline sump, it will remove the slope because it's the cast windage tray that angles the sump?!

I hope that's correct, otherwise I fear I'm looking a bit stupid :lol:

Yup that's right Ben :) That's if the bottom of the FRS block is the same angle as the rocker cover , which I'm pretty confident it is.
Barry

Nothing special about the FRS block compared to a standard 2.0 I don't think. The bottom of it is flat. It's only the windage tray that changes the angle, so I think we've got to the bottom of it! :)

Here's some piccies Ben

The sump and it's components, note there's no oil pick up as the sump does it internally then pulls it up through the pipe through a gauze filter and straight into the oil pump.

This is the depth of the sump from the bottom of the block, just 6.25"

The blue bolt is access to the strainer gauze so you can clean that out at the same time as changing oil.

There's a baffle plate to ensure oil is always at least 2" deep at the bottom.

And then a windeage tray

...the windage tray effectively being a horizontal baffle that, instead of ensuring oil remains at the pickup, physically separates the oil from the crank, so negating the vortex effect caused by the latter...not to be confused with an oil scraper of course, though it might incorporate it/them :lol:

Thanks for all the pics Barry. That's an awesome piece of kit, I still think it's expensive, but it is really nice.

Question is, for me, would it be of any benefit seeing as I don't need to change the current setup? The sump is just at an angle that's the same as a flat one going slightly uphill all the time. But a straight and flat sump is one benefit of the Raceline item.

Nice research Greg :wink:

Hi Ben
I suppose that depends on how much of a lean the FRS motor has on it when fitted in the Focus. If it's a significant lean and you have the engine vertical unless you've remarked the dipstick that will be reading wrongly or oil could be going back up into the block by the drainage holes and getting aerated by the crank webs. As you said though if yours is working it should be ok and the lack of clearance isn't an issue for you. Oh and it is bloody expensive :)
Barry

Barry, I'll get a photo when the car is back on the ground so we can see the level of the sump. As I say, not had a problem so far and having thought about it on and off, there other things on the car I should be spending that money on. To be honest, I could correct it by modifying and tigging up a steel sump pan and put it back horizontal.

Does that Raceline one have the bolt holes for the bottom of an MTX75 gearbox?

Hi Ben
Sorry I can't answer the last question about the bolt holes unless you could see them on the photos but I always wondered what gearbox the FRS used. I know the ST170 has a massive Gertrag 6 speeder is it the same one or a FWD version of the MT75?
Barry

Sinisa is correct, Barry. The Getrag box came after the FRS was designed I think, the ST170 has more creature comforts etc too.

Anyway, the 6 speed box would be good, but it goes bang between 400-450hp (depending on torque). Unfortunately the MTX75 box only has 5 gears (and they're quite short with 15" wheels and 50 profile tyres!!) but as far as I know, not heard of the boxes going wrong. There are people running well in excess of 500+hp with no problems.

You can see under the 'wings' of the sump (in one of my pics) there are the bolt holes for the gearbox. I'll get some better pics as would be good to know.

Thanks!

Ben

Latest posts

Back