Mk1 Focus RS powered Puma, now going RWD, JWRC

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for those Barry - they are both very cool, just like larger go-karts! Both must give immense grin factor :grin:

Yeah and brown pant factor sometimes, did you see how loose the back end of Daves car was under acceleration and also factor in 0-60 times are not much slower than a Veyron.
You're right about Paul Dunnel and N/A cars but he does work on both FWD and RWD layouts so I thought he would have good knowledge of clutches for high torque FWD cars.
Barry

Damnn seeing what happened to your engine is very sad and depressing after all this work. No rush, I 'm sure you will sort it out. Bye

I went to see the engine yesterday again, only to check the breather drain on the sump. But.. the new steel crank is there and it's yummy :grin: however, forgot to get photos :eek:opsy:

I think I also have the largest valves for a zetec head, meaning that instead of approx £200 for a set of 16, it's £400.. :thumbs: :roll:

The block and head are being sent for machining this week.

While it's been gone though, I have been making an oil separator pot for it. Instead of me rambling about it, here are the pictures!

The M8 rod is just for mock-up purposes.

So now I need to weld some aluminium rod onto the lid and thread it for the perforated discs which will be held in place by M8 nuts. I've also got some large hex bar and a length 10-15mm will be welded on top to be able to tighten it down. I also need to put a sealing rubber strip of kind round the top.

More progress..

The original crankcase breather went to this spigot on the back of the inlet to re-circulate the gases. Now that I will run an oil separator pot, it will then vent to atmosphere. I had a friend make up a cap for it..

This was glued on with 'super steel' glue, which is very good by the way.

I found the bracket to the idle control valve broken :?

So welded this back together and re-painted.

While the engine is out, I also decided to re-locate the battery away from the heat of the engine bay (the boot!).

Rivnuts for the bracket..

New earth strap from the battery also

Great progress :thumbs: I think you did well to move the battery when it heat up that much. It will probably also allow you to reach the engine more easily.

Wow dude, just read about your engine issues, that's bad news mate :eek: Really hope you can get this sorted soon, sounds like its going to be a real expensive job, but at least you'll have a good solid engine when its done!

Thanks dude, trying my best to get everything that needs to be sorted, sorted, before the engine comes back (almost there now).

Looking like a couple of weeks yet anyhow. All the parts are there, but I'm waiting on some EN24 oil pump gears. At least the oil pump is one of the last engine components to go on. Must try and get them to take some photos of modifying the block for 360 thrust washer/bearing and the new liners.

Yes Barry,

Went for an AP 6 paddle. The cover isn't very heavy, well compared to this one anyhow. I almost went for the full face organic but was advised not to by the chap whose building my engine at TDI as it wont take the heat like the paddle will. Especially as I mentioned I want to go back to Santa Pod :lol:

Should be coming on Tuesday :)

Got to love a bit of debt :roll: you only live once though, eh :-D

What clutch was you running previously Ben? I'm running the Uprated AP organic for the FRS. I was considering the paddle but my last paddle was horrible to drive in traffic.

A Helix 4 paddle drive plate with heavy duty cover... but the cover is actually made by LUK.

It sounded like the gearbox was broken if you didn't give it enough throttle when moving off. Only a pig in first, but was pretty bad to be honest. I'm told the 6 paddle isn't too bad, but we'll see.

Interesting, I didn't know you had that clutch - obviously taking the power ok then!

Yes mate, I ran it up to near 500 (at a guess) the other day, and it held up fine.

Ah ok, so the 5 paddle is a less aggressive option for you then. Did you get that bad judder when trying to do hill starts or pulling away in 1st? I found hill starts were the worst! Mine was a Helix uprated cover. But to be fair, the shifts felt a lot better with it, more precise and sharper.

Yea, was 1st and hill starts - you're right there. Just had to give it loads of revs to make it smooth.

I'll see what this is like.. much rather be changing clutch than crankshaft :lol:

Same Errol, I ran out of injector duty before.

Basically, before it needed a re-build, the next steps for more power were turbo, injectors and possibly fuel pump, which will easily see 400hp. But then this came along. I also want new management and a new inlet manifold eventually.

I still find it quite a handful at times with the power it's at - yours must be another level!

Ah ok, what size injectors are you running? Im on 600's at the moment.

I'm not sure if mine will be anymore a handful then yours, I've noticed the zetec a seem to have a lot more low down torque then the duratecs with exactly the same set up. But the duratecs seem to make more top end power. But I guess with your bigger valves you may be around the same as mine.

I found a little more duration in the cams has made the transition from "power" & "no power" a lot smoother.

Latest posts

Back