Mk1 Focus RS powered Puma, now going RWD, JWRC

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah I see, yes, in fact I would only need the injector part.

And I would need to buy trumpets to weld on. After doing some research, all the turbo plenums have trumpets inside, but to be brutally honest I don't know the reason why they are there :oops:

Thanks for all the info Barry, very helpful.

Hmmm

They are there to improve the airflow into the pipe(s). Trumpet is cutting the induction losses massively and improving the mass airflow by at least 50% for the same pipe diamater.
What ID do (would) you need?

Thanks Sinisa for the info, that clears things up a lot.

I think something like 42mm?? Maybe 48?

Thanks

Standard 1.7 (FRP as well) uses inlet runners with 40 mm ID. As it is cast aluminum, OD is 47 mm roughly. Don't know what is the situation with Zetec, but since the power output is almost the same in N/A form, I would guess it is very similar

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velocity_stack

Hi Guys
Usually on N/A 1.8 and 2.0 Zetec Es 45 mm Jenveys are used along with 90mm trumpets for up to about 185 maybe as much as 200bhp.
Barry

Thanks to both of you for the input. I wonder whether without extensive research and better skills I could ended up making an inlet that's worse than standard :lol:

I'm wondering whether a custom inlet maybe a better route. There's a guy who makes a lot of custom stuff for Zetec turbos over on passionford.com and fiestaturbo.com (crazycage is his username). He is a welder by trade, I think his inlet manifolds are £450. Some of his stainless steel manifolds he's welded up are amazing.

All for the future, but that price is much better than the Jenvey which I think is £1000.

Dan is actually running the same injectors as me. They are very near the end of what they can deliver. But he runs the Bosch 044 pump.

If and when I get new management I would be able to run 1000cc injectors no problem.

Hi Ben
Will the 1000cc injectors be ok for low rev/load situations, that's why I mentioned the 8 injector set up?
Barry

Hi Barry,

The guy who maps my car says he can get a good idle on 2000cc injectors no problem. He had a Honda Civic in with those injectors at the time he told me and we were talking about what size to go up to next. He said if you're going to buy some you might as well fit big and scale them back.

Ben

Almost finished the oil separator pot. The threaded bar didn't screw cut properly on the lathe when my friend did it. Because it's small it pushes away on that length and the thread goes off. I have since bought some pre-made and replaced it.

I also went to see my engine at the beginning of the week. Will follow up with pics :)

Last week I went to see my engine..

Here is how they modified the block to make a 360 degree thrust washer face. Simply, they have machined the cap to accept another journal bearing with built in thrust washer, as it is in the top. Have no idea why the engine wasn't designed like this in the first place. Still I think it's come out well :cool:

View of the bottom of the steel liners.. you can just about see the line to where the liner has bottomed out in the block. Sorry about the green reflection, the block was sitting in the parts washer.

Again, here you can just about see where the liners are.

Flywheel got lightened. Though I have asked about skimming it since I am bolting up a new clutch.

Head with valve guides cut back.

They ported and polished the exhaust ports massively by opening them up to the gasket line.

Existing PEC steel rods and Cosworth pistons to be re-used. They have been measured and checked.

Farndon Steel Crankshaft.. this is lovely

The engine was diarised to be built Wednesday/Thursday just gone, but haven't heard anything. Either they are waiting for me to get hold of the steel oil pump gears that I'm waiting for, or they they weren't happy with the machining tolerances. They are very particular!

moondustka said:
[post]353127[/post] Last week I went to see my engine..

Here is how they modified the block to make a 360 degree thrust washer face. Simply, they have machined the cap to accept another journal bearing with built in thrust washer, as it is in the top. Have no idea why the engine wasn't designed like this in the first place.

That is so because that cap would need to be machined to the end tolerance in situ to produce level surface if you wanted to spread the thrust all the way around. Also, it might be that the original cranshaft flexes a bit and then would again touch the just one half of the thrust bearing.
To conclude: Ford did research that showed that for the clutch requirements (the pressure plate) dictated by the power output of the engine the used solution was enough. It made the production of engine simpler, faster and cheaper and more than adequate.
Don't forget one of the greatest rules of engineering (at which the Russians are master really): KISS = Keep It Simple, Stupid

Hi Ben
Good to see it all coming back together. As regards the flywheel Zetec Es have really heavy flywheels, I think my blacktop one was 23lbs so I swapped it for a Dunnell one which was 7lbs lighter so I would be interested to know how much yours weighs now. I wouldn't mind the rods and crank for mine but I suppose the pistons would have too low a C/R for me :)
Barry

Sinisa - thanks for the info. Of course, as you say, it's more than adequate in standard form :)

Barry - I don't know how much it weighs but it's certainly lighter. I would guess 2 kg approx. So 4.5 lbs.

It would be the piston and rod combo that would be different for you? Or just go turbo :p

Hi Ben
No turbo needed with about 600kg to shift but about a year ago I sold a Powerworks supercharger kit which I'd bought for the Westy, it wouldn't fit :-(
Barry

Back