1.7 170 bhp begins

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lolly boi

So after looking in to turbos, superchargers and throttle bodies ive decided to keep it simple. ive got a 1999 1.7 mha 125 bhp engine which im stripping cleaning up so its practically a new engine but with some go faster goodies :) hears the progress so far.
CAM00032.jpg

CAM00037.jpg

CAM00039.jpg

CAM00042.jpg

CAM00041.jpg

CAM00044.jpg

CAM00046.jpg

CAM00045.jpg

CAM00047.jpg

CAM00053.jpg

CAM00054.jpg

CAM00055.jpg

CAM00056.jpg

Is it possible to hit 170 without using ITB's?

Looking good so far bud.

Sweep said:
Is it possible to hit 170 without using ITB's?

Looking good so far bud.

I guess we will see. From the modifications listed, I am sceptical and reckon you need a little bit more. I would see tham at around the 145bhp mark. But Lets see how it pans out.

I don't know why people want peak bhp figures on a puma... a good power curve and plenty of torque is what it needs

What I got from my 1.4 that I built was brilliant virtually flat torque curve from 2k up to 5.5k iirc, only 75ft/lbs at the wheels, that peaked at 85.6hp at the fly. The torque changed the way it drove, soo much more usable and fun

i say more like 150/160 with that spec im going for 200 range and had to do a hell of a lot more!! but love to see what happens! you will have much more fun in a car thats got 160bhp but very drivable! :thumbs:

diesel puma would be mad....I think 170 bhp NA will make it a brilliant car....although I really feel that you need 200 bhp to make it overtake as quickly as you need....I find with 180 on the nirtous car it runs real sweet and sometimes when I forget to switch off the nitrous I end up getting to corners a lot faster than I expected and have to brake in corners I would normally just drive around...but it still does not have enough overtake power, I was going to fit the 50 bhp jets but now I am going for a turbo set up...subject to the toher two being okay.

Im doing alot more than ive said i just cant be arsed to list the spec of the engine. Its not all about bhp. im stripping as much as i can out the car for a better power to weight ratio. im also in the middle of doing a full suspension set up on the lazer aliner at work. so if i can get the power down and fly round corners then it will be time effort and money well used . and a big smile on my face :grin:

are you gonna run LSD with yours?? i have an RS one to go in an FRP box im waiting for at the moment, gonna try it with out see how it goes but think will be well needed! :-D

lolly boi said:
im stripping as much as i can out the car for a better power to weight ratio. im also in the middle of doing a full suspension set up on the lazer aliner at work. so if i can get the power down and fly round corners then it will be time effort and money well used . and a big smile on my face :grin:

Well said! That's the key to it. Stripping 100kg out of my car made a huge difference. I only had 132bhp before and after but the power to weight went from 127bhp per tonne to 141bhp per tonne! I think you can get 170bhp, or thereabouts, without throttle bodies. Especially if you're already in touch with LMS! This is going to be an interesting build to follow. :grin:

Back