17's and lowering??

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pumahumes

not signed on in a while as the internet at home ...well...isnt. i've changed my plans for the puma since i last visited and have already fitted a set of 17's. wil lgets pics up asap.

however the obvious problem is that the 'catlike' stance the car used to have has all but disappeared now its sitting rather high. hence forth its time for a little drop. 30-35mm on eibach springs is to be my weapon of choice due to funds. however im already getting a little arch rubbing on the wheels as it is.

cutting that long story short...do i need any arch mods to drop it ... thanks

There is a mod to cut back the inner arch behind the lining to help lowered cars. What offset (ET) are your new 17" wheels? You've the correct 205/40/17 tyres and not the FRP 215/40/17?

It also depends on your tyre profile. Mine didn't rub with toyo's but do a bit with AvonZZ3 as the side wall is a bit more proud. I just don't turn the wheel as much lol

yeh im running 205/40/17's

fine to drop??

will it make any difference with the upcoming m.o.t if the arches rub on full lock??

Won't make any difference to MOT ;)

Whats your offset on your 17s?

Should be ok to drop. I bought mine on 17s and lowered on Eibachs (Later to be given away in a prize draw! Dan has them on his now) and it only sometimes rubbed on full lock. Doesn't rub as much with my newer wheels.

If you're not sure of the offset on your wheels (which is the only thing I can think of that will affect whether they rub on your arch liners) it's usually printed somewhere on the inside of the wheels, most commonly behind the centre cap.

The offset range for the puma is ET34-38, but the higher the offset, the more likely it is to rub.

Everything you wanted to know about Alloy wheel offsets, but were afraid to ask:

http://www.matey-matey.com/alloy-wheels.shtml#4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well my old ones used to rub and it didn't fail. They don't actually have the wheels on the floor and turning them to see it rubbing. They put you up in the air with wheels dangling and move the wheel side to side on full lock to see the steering linkages etc have no play*. Doing that it won't rub.
If it did rub when that happened you'd never be able to drive the car when it was on the ground!

*That's what they do at my local MOT place anyway. Been going there for years now. So much so (and it's probably not the correct thing to do) but I'm normally the one in the car up in the air doing the steering lock to lock, then he shouts "left, right, shake it!" "handbrake on!" "handbrake off!" and I do it to check things out.

Latest posts

Back