2nd opinions on Mobiles

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cherie

Yep, it's upgrade time for me. I've had my SE C902 for 18 months, and it's time for something new. I've done my research, and read reviews, I've checked the deals on various networks, and got in narrowed down.

What I'm after is personal experiences, or even second hand (my mate's got one of them!) experiences to help my finally decide. I'm about 90% decided, but it's me, and I don't do decisions very well.

My short is:
Sony Ericsson Xperia X10
Blackberry Bold 9700
HTC Desire

Mostly going to be used for texting (mostly my mum, as only Dal ever seems to text me :'( ), checking e-mail, facebook etc and furtive internet during quiet moments at work, or if I'm out and about or away from home, with no w-fi access for my netbook.

Want to hear if you've tried anything similar - except the iPhone, I'm really not interested in getting one of them!

Ta!

HTC - the Android interface has come on in leaps and bounds in the last year or so.

I was thinking about the X10 myself or the new Nokia which is due out later in the year

Have a look here for a few reviews on the best mobile phones which coincidently include the 3 you listed:-

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/0,139102093,1,00.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or this one that has 15 listed in order:-

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/15-best-mobile-phones-in-the-world-today-645440" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The second link also has real users reviews on each page.

The sony seems to get good write ups.

Personly about 5 weeks ago i had to make the same choice and i wound up with the Nokia X16

Personal taste but i love nokias

yippeekiay said:
Have a look here for a few reviews on the best mobile phones which coincidently include the 3 you listed:-

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/0,139102093,1,00.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or this one that has 15 listed in order:-

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/15-best-mobile-phones-in-the-world-today-645440" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The second link also has real users reviews on each page.
I've already read about every decent review I can find - including techradar - just after some personal opinions/experiences here. ;)

Scotty1.7 said:
The sony seems to get good write ups.

Personly about 5 weeks ago i had to make the same choice and i wound up with the Nokia X16

Personal taste but i love nokias
The Sony, apart from the fact it's an old version of the Andriod OS compared to the HTC, and slower because of it, seems ok.

The X6 was one of the ones I was considering originally, but I decided against it. It's reported as being quite sluggish, and the screen cramped. Plus I don't really get on with the menus on Dal's 5800, which is pretty much the same.

Nothing against Nokias, I've had a few in the past, but been on SE for the last 3 phones, so that's over 3 years now. My last Nokia was the 6230i, which I still have with a PAYG sim in on a different network for emergencies.

Mines never been sliggish, but it can be abit cramped sometimes.

Its a very personal choice though phones, some people lov e em some will hate em

Got the X10 here, had it on pre-order with Vodafone! (so had it for about a month).

My mobile history has pretty much always been SE or HTC so it was natural progression to move onto the X10.

Coming over from Windows Mobile 6 - 6.5 over to Android was a breath of fresh air.
It hasn't crashed nor locked up on me AT ALL yet and I've pretty much been throwing apps at it like there's no tomorrow.

Camera on it is pretty sharp, see my project thread in my sig for example photos.

The Mediascape / Timescape things are a bit gimmicky but both work well and you can disable stuff you don't use (Twitter etc).

The touch screen is by far the best I've used but then again it is capacitive so it always was going to be. :)

Previously I've always liked to have a "hard keypad" as well as touch screen but I'll be honest, since the screen responds that well to key presses, I don't regret leaving them.

As far as connectivity goes, USB mode works fine and I find myself using it as a pen-drive for work instead of my actual pen-drive.
Wi-Fi auto connects when I'm at home and as soon as I get to work, love it!
Improved phone signal compared to my X1
GPS picks up satellites nice and fast and holds connection well, I've used the new version of Google Maps loads as in-car sat nav.

The ONLY fault / bad point I have about it is the battery life, it pretty much lasts me a day and that's it but after some reading up on XDA Dev's it would appear it's a widespread concern and apparently a software update will go some way to fixing it by adjusting the way it idles etc.

If you end up going with the X10 or Android let me know and I'll give you the names of some funky apps.

Review... DONE! : :lol:

PS: A good friend of mine who was a long time Nokia user went on eBay and bought an X10 handset the day he played on it because he was that impressed at how smooth it ran. :p

Neil said:
HTC - the Android interface has come on in leaps and bounds in the last year or so.
Seconded.
Got a Hero for a friend 'bout six months back and she's loving it. :eek:k:

I use the HTC Magic G2 (Google phone) And I've had it for over a year now, and I love it..

And, the new HTC's are Much better, I would reccomend HTC To anyone.

The HTC comes out on top in a lot of places, but I can't order one until Monday if that's the way I'm going to go - upgrade so I keep the same number, sufficient minutes, unlimited texts, unlimited internet, free phone all for £20 a month. Sounds like a good deal to me!

^In your opinion ^. I detest anything by Mr Jobs. Style over substance most of the time.

;)

In the case of the iPad yes. iPhone has plenty of substance :D

IIRC if you purchase a mobile on the internet you are entitiled to a trial period as you didn't see it first...not sure if this is statutory or offered by all companies, but if you can try it for a week then send it back that might help?

HTC Desire or iPhone .. they'll do anything you could ever want.. the iPhone has way more applications available but of course Android is catching up.

Cherie; if you wait a couple of days my HTC Desire should arrive tomorrow and i'll be testing it hard.

Aiden has an iPhone 3GS and LOTS of people I know have iPhones and I never hear a bad thing. My mum, sister in law and close colleague all have the 3G and all recommend it.

I can give you my thoughts on the Desire on Sunday providing it turns up tomorrow (I only ordered it today) and you can have a go on it too, no problem.

I read a lot of reviews before settling for the Desire but it does seem very hard to beat in terms of specification and associated functionality.

since getting an iphone 3gs i hardly use my laptop anymore they are really much more than a phone with apps nothing can even compete and dont foget the new version is out soon

Back