300mm brakes + nine spokes

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i know that several people have used 300mm brakes with props witha bit of grinding but idont no what the clearance is like on the 9 spokes comparatively speaking

personally i wouldnt grind anything as it could make components weaker just fit 16 or 17 inch alloys plus its good to show them off and you wouldnt see them behind 15 inch puma 9-spokes

i went for 17 inch alloys with offset 38
dapuma2013.jpg

lauraspics031.jpg

had them sat behind 16s for ages.

dont want to put them on the new one though
suppose ill have to get my 4 and a half incher out and have a go...

Hey i did a trail fit- and at a guess there wasn't much in it- but you could give your self coolinh issues- it looked to close for my comfort so i held off for some 16's.

They will go- but its abit trial and error to get the right.

Thats hat Im sayn the 16s give them room to over heat.

The 15's may not give them the room to cool down based on the proxemty of the cailipers addis to th wheels

Get good Brake disks like my drilled and grooved disks in the picture above and they won't get as hot anyway

they wont over heat anyway because they're made for a car thats 300-500kg heavier and ive stopped driving like ive stolen it every day. just occasionally.
and they're race pads.

You have to do some serious pedal stomping to get your brake disks that hot anyway I've only ever once seen brake disks glow red after a good thrashing in a BMW 335i

i had the 240's on my other puma on fire before but never glowing. im not sure but i think its only really ceramics that you see glowing. still-a piddly little 1.7 isnt gonna make brakes discs glow i wouldnt of thought.

anyway, i had a trial fit earlier with the 9 spokes over the brakes and its just the top on bottom corners of the carriers that need a couple of mm shaving off, will have a go tomorrow if i get time...

I don't think a 2008 BMW 335i has ceramics but they deffo had a glow to them and smelt awfull

Best disks are the drilled and grooved ones they don't fade as much mine seem to get better the more you work them and hotter they get

I've had the Pumaspeed 300mm conversion behind my standard Millennium 15s for a few years now. Not that much grinding required as I remember, but the callipers are very close to the rims! I've had a few mechanics look at it over the years, all of whom agreed that it's not posing any major risks. It's also gone through multiple MOTs with no problems.

I have had brake fade from them in the past (brakes using OEM disks and pads, standard 1.7 with a stainless exhaust system), but I was driving pretty fast on country roads, so plenty of heavy braking was being done.

Planning on upgrading to sport disks and pads soon, as mine have nearly worn out now!

your brake fade was probably more down to the brake fluid boiling in the calipers rather then the brakes themselves, what rating fluid have you got in there? dot 5.1 is much better, or theres even better stuff called super blue

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/accessoryDetail.jsp?ID=21" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back