4 Wheel alignment

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zinc2000

Buttercup is going in tomorrow to have her wheels aligned as with 4 brand new tyres on I do not wish to scrub one too quickly, since doing the rear beam bushes she feels ever so slightly out of line, seems to turn into right hand corners a bit more eagerly than left handers.

Will be interesting to see the difference once she comes back

Hopefully the last expense before FiTP :cool:

Mine does the same. Its like its steering with the nearside front wheel. Not that it slows me down much, pumas handle well regardless, but in my case I rekon its the front subbie, its been bodged at some point by Mr MOT replacing a single roll bar bush(the Muppet), that and a dodgey wishbone, he should have done the pair but it happened on the previous owners watch, bless her. I'm now sorting it. I'll have the rear looked at too now you come to mention it. I agree with you on Scottish roads, I did a bit of courier work a few years back and promised myself I would return one day in a more suitable vehicle. Not long now I hope.

So, 4 wheel alignment done and wow what a difference......car now pulls straight and true under acceleration and the turn in, both left and right is tight, positive and very confidence inspiring, so good I had to drive home via the mountain (single track) road just for the hell of it, after all it is only about 20 miles longer and because of the nature of the road, tight bends linked with not quite so tight bends with short straights in between the whole thing can be done in 4th gear from 30mph up to 65mph, temperature gauge never left the centre of the dial which is good as well:grin:
Comment from my 3 year old Grandson in the back "this is a lot of corners Grandpa" and "is this a different way home"

Well worth the £50 :grin:

zinc2000 said:
[post]362037[/post] So, 4 wheel alignment done and wow what a difference
Yeah, I bet there are still some fools around who don't know the exact difference between Tracking and Four Wheel Alignment! Can you believe that?

Well, I didn't, so here it is - https://www.alignmycar.co.uk/what-is-the-difference-between-tracking-and-four-wheel-alignment/

Jeeze, what I'd give to murder those empty Scottish roads. Well, almost anything apart from a 450 mile drive up there. Back in the day, before the era of cameras and potholes, I was a different driver then.

You should have seen the South East then, Spaniard, 50 thousand Romans watching every movement of your motor, willing you to make that killer blow. The silence before you strike and the noise afterwards it rise up like a storm as if you were the thunder God himself.

:p

zinc2000 said:
[post]362037[/post] ........ the whole thing can be done in 4th gear from 30mph up to 65mph, temperature gauge never left the centre of the dial which is good as well:grin:
I wouldn’t rely on the needle moving past the middle the of the dial, when the temperature exceeds it’s normal operating temperature of around 87/88°C:
My Puma is a 2001-2, I got the following results using a ScanGauge II:
Starting from cold, heater control set to Max, no fan speed on and car stationary.
- Ran engine at around 2000/2250 rpm.
- Needle had moved to middle of temperature dial at approximately 87°C.
- Continued with revs and high-speed fan cut in when the temperature reached 109/110°C.
- Let the revs drop down to tick-over and the fan stopped running at 103/104°C.
During the whole process, the temperature dial needle remained in the middle position (no movement at all).

YOG said:
[post]362040[/post] I wouldn’t rely on the needle moving past the middle the of the dial
Yeah, that point came up a few times on this thread - https://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?p=347020#p347020

Early Pumas have progressive water temp. gauges and in the later ones they are 'ecu damped' to effectively give, er, just 3 needle positions - off/middle/full.

You would think that the early 'progressive' type would be better, but in practise it's no fun sitting in a traffic jam on a hot day with the needle just below the red max. The Puma knows its just about to kick in the full fans, but you don't. That's why, explained later in that thread, I bypassed the A/C half speed fan, so that you can manually switch the full sped fans on whenever you want, simply by turning the A/C on.

ou would think that the early 'progressive' type would be better, but in practise it's no fun sitting in a traffic jam on a hot day with the needle just below the red max. The Puma knows its just about to kick in the full fans, but you don't. That's why, explained later in that thread, I bypassed the A/C half speed fan, so that you can manually switch the full sped fans on whenever you want, simply by turning the A/C on.

Thats a really good point Frank about the car knowing more than you as I do remember when I split a hose not long after buying "buttercup" all was well (I thought) until the needle suddenly shot to the top!
Might have to look into a manual option for the fan just in case although in this case the fan never cut in once so have to assume she was quite happy and to be honest I never use really hard acceleration anyway as that is not my style, I prefer the torque to do the work and there is no shortage of that available and all under 4000 revs.

zinc2000 said:
Thats a really good point Frank about the car knowing more than you as I do remember when I split a hose not long after buying "buttercup" all was well (I thought) until the needle suddenly shot to the top!
Sorry, I had missed this post somehow.

In those 'split hoses' circumstances, an old style 'progressive' needle might buy you an extra 30 seconds, but that's all and only if you noticed it climbing and it would be climbing fast!

That situation needs this - https://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?p=346822#p346822 which I noticed I haven't updated and so...will do so now. :)

Back