A rather productive day

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S14200sx

My Girlfriends car recently had a slight problem with the engine, well today we found this and it confirmed (although we where pretty sure it was this anyway)..

...anyone care to guess what's wrong.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Screenshot2011-01-13at212352.png

also

managed to get a look at my mine...just in case anyone wants to know what a knackered turbo looks like

IMG_1163.jpg

Poor engine :(

Hope my turbo looks better than that one :lol:

Dal said:
Poor engine :(

Hope my turbo looks better than that one :lol:

yeah poor engine, but it had a good innings it covered 156,000 miles :D

new one dropped in yesterday/today, currently on 32k took about 10 hours to remove the old one, and drop (i say drop in like it was really quick and simple :cool: ) the replacement.

We did have a few issues, the lower ball joint bolt on one side was buggered, and then swapping over engine mounts was required because of a stripped thread :evil:

after about 5 attempts to start it the battery was starting to go flat, left it about half an hour tried again and fired up into life.

I have realised what happened to my turbo, its a Ball bearing unit which are great BUT i forgot to install a restrictor in the oil line, basically it was pushing too much oil through it

soo its going to be replaced with this :D

IMG_1171.jpg

PumaNoob said:
What turbo is that GT28?? I WANT

The Old one was a T28r-GT2560r (R means roller bearing) which is basically a standard T28 with dual bearing core, means more boost than standard and lightening quick spool

The new one, is a GT2871r, basically same size casings, everything else is larger, the standard compressor/turbine on a T28 (STD unit on 200sx's) is about 39mm iirc

This one is 53mm, it will be ever so slightly laggier but should give awesome mid range and anything up to about 360bhp maybe more with the right mapping :)

With a few more monies spent (cams) it can reach 400bhp just only just but I won't be going as far as that

Yeah, I think that's the disco potato, got to be 1 of the best on the market, I've spent the last few weeks looking into my next turbo choice for a 2.0, the GT2560r, or the GT2871r are strong contenders, but it's just the cost putting me off. For half the price, I can get the more laggy & less efficient t34, or TD04 from Mitsubishi. Decisions decisions!! Then there's the good old t28 from the gtir!

What are you doin with the puma, I take it the engine is scrap??

PumaNoob said:
Yeah, I think that's the disco potato, got to be 1 of the best on the market, I've spent the last few weeks looking into my next turbo choice for a 2.0, the GT2560r, or the GT2871r are strong contenders, but it's just the cost putting me off. For half the price, I can get the more laggy & less efficient t34, or TD04 from Mitsubishi. Decisions decisions!! Then there's the good old t28 from the gtir!

What are you doin with the puma, I take it the engine is scrap??

Yes the engine is a total write off, mo point trying to rebuild it when engines can be had so cheaply.

The disco potato is a GT2860r (GT28RS) and is pretty good turbo just not as good as a 2871, i pretty sure the turbo on a GTiR is actually a T25...T25h or something!?! So it'll spool ok Just run out of puff later on

All fired up today, the engine runs ok, although there is a rhythmic "clicking" noise from the aux belt apart from that it's pretty quiet, the clutch needs bleeding too which should be easy to sort

There is one slight issue, the temp gauge no longer works

I double checked the connector ( under the coil pack???) and all seems well, I will check the pins tomorrow, the top most rad pipe is warm, the bottom one is stone cold so the thermostat isn't opening

Has anyone got any pointers?

have you tried the gauge test where you can scroll through the settings like fault codes bulbs? never out of mine now i can see what the temp is reading as my temp sensors playing up!

don t know if im reading this wrong, but if the thermo isnt opening and the bottom pipes are cold would the temp guage not read cold anyway? as no water is circulating?

But there is no movement at all on the gauge at all, the needle is way off the gauge prior to starting, I started the engine yesterday and let it idle for a good ten mins and it hadnt moved one bit, granted the thermostat hadn't opened letting water through.

But surely the needle would have moved in that 10 mins?

Back