ABS/TC light does not go out

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luke55

Seems to be an old chestnut this one, but today my ABS/TC light stopped going out as it normally did. Has been OK for over a year, I know coz I always started the car like a diesel, watching the lights come on and go out, if I didn't wait she would struggle to start. Pretty sure I can hear the self test graunch sound at 12mph, does this mean the system is likely still functional..? Also as the lights are coming on, does this exclude a simple fuse problem? S'pose I could test it by slamming the anchors on to see what happens, but I don't like to do that. :shock:

Funnily enough the car just passed its MOT a few weeks ago, so not sure if this is good or bad timing. :|

Hi ya

I have this fault also. Took it for its MOT last Friday and told them about the fault and to look at it for me and the wire underneath just at the back of the spare wheel had snapped. It is so close to the connection it cannot be fastened back together. Have to try and find another one before the 11th which is when the MOT expires. Pleased to say she passed apart from the bloody ABS x

Not even sure what this connection is called so finding one on ebay is like finding a needle in a haystack!

If your lights arent going out I dont think your system will be functional.Its most likely a sensor gone down but could be a connector undone.Might just be a dirty sensor.

Plugging it into a tester and finding out which sensor is the problem will save a lot of faffing about.

It would seem the diagnostics machines will not always pick up a sensor. Im about to to a continuity test on my wires, as the ABS and TC lights have been on mine since ive had the car, ive changed all sensors and nothings changed, ive put it on diagnostics and again nothings changed. Ive taken the whole abs system appart, the only thing left to try is to see if there is a break in one of the wires. Ive spent my day working out the pinout of the ABS plug, so i can test the connections.

With regards to connections, you dont have to use the original connection, its better if you do so you are able to just swap it out when you change it, but you can just cut the wires and use bulled connectors or similar.

Update: when I started the car today the ABS/TC lights stayed until I heard the graunch (self test) sound when the both went out :?

Mine seems very intermittent. Generally doens't seem to like the wet weather, which makes me think it might be a dirty sensor.
It was fine all the way driving to Edinburgh the other day in mainly dry conditions. Once we got there it was parked for a few days, and it rained a lot. The light hasn't gone off since...

I'm not too worried, but will investigate come MOT time. It's not like I really need ABS anyway, but it is a safety feature that is nice to have.

Back