ABS + Traction Control lights staying on

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

staro30

Hi,
My ABS + Traction Control lights are staying on! Is this likely to be a sensor problem or something more costly? Would a MOT tester fail the car?

I can only remember one instance in the last 13 years where I need ABS. As for Traction Control, I wouldn't know if it was working or not.

Thanks
Staro

The mot tester will fail the car with the abs and traction lights on.

It could be a sensor problem, an exciter ring problem or the abs modual on the other hand it could be a broken wire somewhere. Either a multimeter or obd scanner will tell you what the problem is.

My ABS and Traction control light came on mine and turned out to be a blown fuse!

The traction control only works below 12 mph if I remember correctly. Normally the light turns out to be the sensor. Mine was on and it was the front off side. I brought 2 from eBay for about £12 each. Fitted the offside and the light went out. One week before the MOT the light came on again so I swapped the near side out and since then it has been fine. Apart from the rusted bolt holding the sensor they are a doodle to fit, and altought the eBay ones seemed very cheap they have lasted well so far

Hi,

Thanks for the info.

Will check the fuse.

Anyone point me to some pictures of where/how to change sensors, etc?

Thanks
Staro

Well the lights are still on! The MOT is approaching!!
One garage couldn't connect to the ABS module and stated that the module is buggered, they cost £800 so the car is a write off! Any truth in this? He was using Ford Fiesta software on his laptop.

Off to another garage next Sat for another free quote - hopefully they'll connect or its off to Ford for potential bad news!

Staro

I'm sure you could get a second hand one for much less, that ridiculous. You can buy a whole working Puma for £500

There was a second hand one advertised on here for £25

Ruling out the sensors is quite easy. Just take the plugs out and check their resistance. It should be 1100 Ohms (slightly less for new ones, usually in region of 1050 to 1100 Ohms). If you can't read any resistance, they are dead. If the resistance is over (mine was 1900 somethin Ohms) the sensor in question needs replacing. After replacing (could be a bugger to get out as they are well welded in by rust by now) the light will stay on UNTIL you start driving it. At 20 kph the system does a self test and that is when the light should go out if everything is OK.
In all honesty, you can change all sensors with eBay parts (front can be had for 10 GBP each, rear ones come in pairs only and you can have them for 23-24 GBP) if in doubt.
The wiring part is more tricky. The modul itself is located below brake servo. When you pull the plug, you will see the pins. here you can see the pinout (thanks Pumanoob!) http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=16588" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and do the same test with Ohmmeter as with sensors. If there is a problem in wiring you will see it; the resistance should be the same, 1100 Ohms...

Even if the resistance test is ok they can still be faulty.
I just replaced mine on the rear, was fairly new and both tested out at 1100 ohms. Got a cheap replacement from a local Auto Factors (£20.83). Job done.
At that price it's worth replacing anyway if you thinks it's faulty. Even if you need to replace it again after a couple of years at least you know it will be a fairly easy job.
IMO you are very unlucky if the ABS module packs up. It's much more likely to be something that's exposed to the elements.
Paul

Took the cat to a different garage. This time they didn't have some old laptop with the Ford Fiesta sw. It was a Bosch handheld thingy and he had the Ford Puma sw on it.

Turns out it is the sensor on the front right. They can provide and fit a cheap sensor for £75 or the more robust one for £100.

I know I can get the cheap ones for about £10-15 on ebay but I've never even jacked a car up let alone taken a wheel off!

Is it easy to do yourself? The garage did state that the sensors can break when fitting.

Staro

It's not a massive job but can be a bit of a faff.
Wheel off, arch liner out then if it's never been changed (likely) it'll be a pig.
The sensor is held in with a 6mm bolt (8mm socket). This may be difficult to shift, and could either shear or round off :cry:
Then the sensor itself will be stuck fast and will need breaking out. Electrical connector is up in the wheel arch fixed to the inner wing.
The easy bit then is fitting the new one.
IMO 75 quid is not bad. If you try it yourself having no experience you may get a bit frustrated to say the least.
The garage will have done a lot of these and will have all the necessary equipment.
Paul

Took it to the garage to have the front right abs sensor changed. It'd been on there since new so was corroded in so good job I didn't attempt myself. They had to use the gas gun to get it all out. Put the new sensor on and lights offs! hooray! 50 miles down the road I hear the abs doing its self test whirring noise every 10-15 secs and felt the pulsing under my brake when applying fairly hard on them when approaching roundabout - then the lights come back on! Aaaah!!!!
Took the cat back to the garage thinking the new sensor had not been done right. They attach the computer diagnostics and now the other senser (front left) has gone!!! Coincidence???!!!
So that's another 140 quid to pay in a couple of weeks time! Is this normal?

I won't comment the prices since I live in another country. But, when you think about it, it makes sense (in a way) that sensors died more or less at the same time: they are same and built to last the same ammount of time. Ford is constructing its cars to last 10 years in whaever enviroment; UK has pretty mild climate so you got an 'extension' of 3-4 years?
To summ up: you had bad luck. But, having seen what they did, you could try doing it yourself. The only thing to pay attention is NOT TO deform ABS ring. The old sensor will need destroying to get out (most probably), but since it is mulfunctional, not really harm done there.

Hi,
So the other front ABS sensor has been done! That's another 140 quid gone. The garage happened to mention that if they were to MOT to then they would fail on the front brake pads and one of the back bushes!

My cat is 14 years old and I'm beginning to think its on its last legs!

I'm sure a couple of brake pads fitted from Kwik Fit isn't much? But taking the back axle off to repair/replace the bushes is apparentley 150 quid for each side.

Any tips?

Cheers
Staro

Go to your local motor factors and buy some pads and fit them yourself sure there is some guides on the forum and fit them yourself. And the rear bushes are a pain to-do but can be dun in an hour so 150 for An hour's Labour is a bit much.

Latest posts

Back