advice re spray paint blending order please

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommo1051

Hi,
Some advice please.
Thought I'd treat a small bit of rust on o/s door sill ( 50 pence piece size)
Rubbed it back to bare metal, bit of rust stuff, primed and now painted - Halfords moondust silver.
I've got the clear coat and intend to rub the paintwork down with 2000 grain to dull the shiny paintwork before applying the clear lacquer, as per the instructions.
But where I've masked for painting there is are clear and obvious marks/lines between new and old paint. I expected this. Question is, do I try and blend these lines out now before lacquering or wait a couple of weeks after lacquering and then rub down / t cut? Or both?
I don't expect anything near perfection, but wondering best approach.
Any advice much appreciated :grin:

hi matey i would rub down the aria you have painted with some 3m rubbing compound, mainly around the lines your talking about. then whack your lacquer on a few thin layers dont go sick with it though, once its totaly dry rub it down with compound again lightly but more round the edges of the spot you have workd on, finaly grab sum polish and give it a once over prob be best polish the whole car. that should do the trick laa :cool:

i had the same issue with my old puma it was silver with tons of rust round the arches i had to cut it all out and fill it and paint with stuff from halfords like ur self, i managed to get it spot on , ive got a black one now with more rust but im gona leave it to the pros this time silvers easy but blacks a ball ache

Let's hope this turns out ok . I haven't tried this before , but if it works reasonably well, both my arches are just starting to bubble and I've got a HUGE key mark down the passenger side where some fu$#er had nothing better to do.
May need some more paint.. :)

Back