Aerial where rear washer jet sits

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lb81

I have a real bee in my bonnet about this...

I have removed the rear wiper and have a nice color matched bung ready to fit, but now I have done this I am going to have to do something about the washer jet...

I was just going to remove it and bung it up the same as the wiper, but I keep seeing BMW 3 series with the shark fin style aerial just above the rear window and cant help thinking that putting one there on the puma and covering over the hole at the front would look awesome and fit in with the smoothed look of the rear without lots of stuff sticking out!

I would want it to be small ish and unobtrusive (not like the fake ones they sell in Halfrauds :wink: ) and obviously carefully color matched...

The alternative and cheaper option would be to just move the existing aerial to this location and have a short stubby 'bee sting' aerial instead of the longer item...

Just after opinions really and to find out if anyone else has done this or similar?

Cheers

It would have to be one like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A12V-AERO...CarParts_SM&hash=item1e650bdee8#ht_2057wt_905

the longer ones BMW style which I prefer wont fit as that part of the roof has too much of a curve to it. Still look pretty neat matched up in moondust silver though :cool:

Also didnt mention that I would actually fill in the original hole at the front rather than bung it up as I think a bung would annoy me after a while...

lb81 said:
I have a real bee in my bonnet about this...

I have removed the rear wiper and have a nice color matched bung ready to fit, but now I have done this I am going to have to do something about the washer jet...

I was just going to remove it and bung it up the same as the wiper, but I keep seeing BMW 3 series with the shark fin style aerial just above the rear window and cant help thinking that putting one there on the puma and covering over the hole at the front would look awesome and fit in with the smoothed look of the rear without lots of stuff sticking out!

I would want it to be small ish and unobtrusive (not like the fake ones they sell in Halfrauds :wink: ) and obviously carefully color matched...

The alternative and cheaper option would be to just move the existing aerial to this location and have a short stubby 'bee sting' aerial instead of the longer item...

Just after opinions really and to find out if anyone else has done this or similar?

Cheers

Ha ha yes we spoke about this some time back, looking forward to seeing it :cool:

Ha yes mate, I'm tempted to just buy one of those aerials and see what it's like as they are less than a tenner! Quite pleased with the colour matched bung as well - see it on Saturday at yours :grin: although I'm feeling filling that in as well and having it all smooth!

lb81 said:
Ha yes mate, I'm tempted to just buy one of those aerials and see what it's like as they are less than a tenner! Quite pleased with the colour matched bung as well - see it on Saturday at yours :grin: although I'm feeling filling that in as well and having it all smooth!

Filling must be the way to go especially if your thinking of removing the aerial from the front. You might as well do boot and front the same day. It will look fantastic once done. Get our mate in Frog Lane to do both at once?

Been trying to find a pic of a Puma with it done already to see how it looks but no joy, surely I'm not the first to think of doing this?

Here is how things stand at the moment. I have whipped off the washer jet as it was offending my eyes and already looks better with the tiny bung. Had to sack off the colored bung as i managed to gouge a big piece of the paint off when fitting it! Will be removing the washer jet pipe properly when I decide what to do, but for now its just plugged with some sealant and a large bolt in case i accidentally trigger it and my kids get wet heads!! :lol:

IMG_0553.jpg

IMG_0552.jpg

It's just a 10mm circular one, the holes sqareish but the bung sits in there pretty well if you press it down as it moulds to the hole! Could be left there permanently without any problems!

ok cool, tempted to do it on mine, only concern is what to do about the fact where will the water go if you squirt it, could remove the pipe easy enough back to the washer bottle but it will still piss out the pump if i spray it i suppose i could snip the relevant wire on the stalk

Steve you could convert it to an incar shower ( like the one they had in top gear)

ScubaSteve said:
ok cool, tempted to do it on mine, only concern is what to do about the fact where will the water go if you squirt it, could remove the pipe easy enough back to the washer bottle but it will still piss out the pump if i spray it i suppose i could snip the relevant wire on the stalk

I've literally screwed an M6 bolt covered in sealant in the end for now and just need to be careful. When I've finished doing whatever I end up doing I'm going to rip out the pipe from the washer tank, plug the hole and disconnect the wire!

Or put a 'T' shaped connector on the end of the pipe, then join the two remaining ends up with another small piece of pipe.....

Latest posts

Back