Hydraulic Handbrake Issues

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbrick18

I have an '02 puma I use for Targa rallying. I fitted a Hydro Handbrake which worked perfectly.
I had a little too much adrenaline flowing at one event, clipped my back wheel on a kerb and bent my back axle resulting in a need for a new axle.
I could only get an axle from a 99 puma, which fits ok but has the older brake drums which are smaller than the '02 puma.
New shoes and cylinders fitted as the old ones didn't match.
Fitted everything fine, had a little mishap when bleeding the brakes along with my buddy who pumped the pedal when the bleed nipple was open so air may have got into the system.
However, bled repeatedly so I don't think there's any air in the system. No matter what, I cant get the hydro to lock the rear wheels.
I got a pressure bleed done last night, and if anything the brakes are worse, and still no rear wheel lock.

The car the axle came from was a retired targa car which at a time also had a hydro fitted, so in theory the smaller drums should work ok with the hydro.

Anyone any ideas? Would the hydraulic cylinder on the hydro be faulty? Brake Flexi hoses? It seems to me like the cylinders are not getting enough fluid to fully extend. ABS is disabled (fuse removed). I'm at a complete loss at this point, so any help appreciated.

Latest posts

Back