AJS DD125E - two wheeled content!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TGPlayer1

Well I thought I'd start a thread for my bike, as after six months of telling myself I wouldn't go down the route of modifying it I finally caved in, I was daft to think it would last :lol:

As it stood when I bought it in Nov '14 it was a standard AJS DD125E, which is a Chinese, Harley-esque cruiser, with a 125cc straight twin, and lots of flaky chrome. It was a steal as the owner just wanted shut of it, due to personal problems not an issue with the bike. It was freshly MOT'd, services and had a new carb on it, which hadn't been set up but what the hey, it was easy to do.

As far as bikes go it's a cracker, rides well and seems pretty reliable, it's no Honda but for the money its value like no other. Also I think it looks the nuts and if it weren't for the L-plates you'd never think it was a 125. Except that it's slow as shit.

So anyway like I said I wasn't going to mod it, or at least nothing major, so I just did a couple of things. Firstly I swapped all the lights for LEDs and put a super-white halogen in the headlight, which makes the whole thing just look nicer, I think. Then I got some saddle bags for Xmas, which really widens the back end and makes it look much more chunky and cruiser-like. Then I did a nice little mod which was to put a 12V socket on it so I can charge my phone when I use it as a satnav, as I got a handlebar mount for it.

Here is the bike, with bags and LEDs, which you can't see but are there!

And here's the socket, I velcroed it so I can take it off when it rains, as I can't find any caps that fit

The latest mod is where the big stuff has begun; I've slashed the exhaust. Nobody needs silencers and now it sounds much better, you really wouldn't think it's a 125 now! For the moment they are just a shorty that end by the foot pegs, but I'll extend them about 10 inches with some tube and then paint them black. I'll get some snaps later.

The next thing is a bit of a strip down, I'll ditch the chrome cover for the air box, and the box itself and stick a cone filter on it, then I'll do a bit of matt blacking on some bits, as the chrome is flaking anyway.

So there goes the rest of my money anyway :-(

A twin on a 125 must be quite unusual? Most I've seen are single cylinders. Must make it sound a bit less buzzy anyway!

Enjoy modifying :grin:

Just don't make the electrics worse than they probably are :grin:

I had a Honda CG125 but I think the previous owner has put in a Hongdou engine or something and the push rod actually bent in half and lost all compression. I don't think this would happen with an actual Honda engine.

red said:
A twin on a 125 must be quite unusual? Most I've seen are single cylinders. Must make it sound a bit less buzzy anyway.
That's basically the main reason I bought it, it looks, sounds and rides better than a single.

As for the electrics, it's fairly basic so there's not much to play with anyway. And I have no idea about wiring so I don't do anything but the simplest of tasks.

The Chinese steel is pretty low grade, the engines in the AJSs suffer from bad cam wear if it's ridden long journeys a lot. I only potter about so I should be ok.

My round trip is 80 miles which probably didn't make mine very happy :lol:

Years ago I had a Honda 250 twin and as I had no bike licence I rebadged it as a 125 twin, used to surprise a few people with its acceleration :grin:

Nice looking bike BTW :thumbs:

Ah yes the pre-ANPR days of glory. If it weren't for the hens teeth like nature of the visually identical 350cc engine I'd be plonking that in for sure.

Had it MOT'd on Tuesday just gone, and after replacing the brake light bulb - which blew en route to the test station no less - it passed with almost flying colours; advised on the front wheel bearing (needs a strip and some grease as it's noisy but not loose at all) and the inevitable "exhaust noisy", which you can't really escape from when you take a grinder to the pipes and chop off the cans!

I was thinking of getting a generic can and knocking up a Y-piece so that i can put it on for extended journeys, as it is bloody loud :lol:

Congrats on the clean MOT :grin:

I can relate to this, I bought a cruiser that I wasn't going to modify......

...but did, just a little.....

...and now I get a loud exhaust advisory at every MOT too :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Niiiice.

I wouldn't put mine even near the same category as that. If I had the time/ability/money I would definitely go down the same route though, although I'd keep the back seat, because you never know when :wink:

So nearly 12 months after saying I was going to fit a cone filter I finally did it!

A little bit of silicone tube, some steel pipe and a filter later it's all looking custom :eek:k: Well, custom to a budget. Also removing the standard air box and what not (which was doing a shit job anyway as the filter wasn't even sitting correctly and not sealing fully around the intake pipe) I discovered lots of rustiness, and poked a large portion of the rear mudguard away, so some tidying up is required.

Anyway it sounds good and there's the expected whooshing through the filter on acceleration, and maybe half a horsepower increase :D

I also got some actual chain lube instead of using "any old shit" off the shelf :lol: So the chain shouldn't wear out quite as quickly now.

Pics of the intake

Back