Alarm assistance needed...

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wackyraces

Over the past few weeks my alarm has started doing some odd things...

Firstly if I unlock the car at passenger door and open the alarm goes off - not a major problem as this doesn't happen if unlocking at driver door.

Now today I unlocked at driver door, then when turned key in ignition car started but the alarm went off - had to turn off ignition, lock and unlock to turn alarm off, then car started at 2nd attempt without alarm going off. This has happened twice today.

Any assistance, suggestions to prevent this will be greatly appreciated.

Kevin

I have a virtually identical problem. Originally I could set the alarm using both the key in the lock and remotely. However the drivers side stopped working with the key. The remote stuff was fine, but opening the car from the driver's side with the key in the lock did not disengage the alarm. However it was also intermittent. So sometimes when unlocking with the key in the lock, well, annoying... and noisy.

The passenger side worked fine using the remote or with the key in the lock :roll:

I did notice that if the physical key unlock had not disengaged the alarm, then the boot would not open. In this state, if I then physically opened a door, the alarm would pop. A kind if litmus test if you will!

It was in a Ford garage for an unrelated reason a while back and I asked if they could a have a look. They said they'd fixed "loose wiring", and it worked perfectly... for about three months before going back to the above.

Fast forward a couple of years and the problem seems to have changed yet again. I got in the car one morning and noticed the clock was wrong. Unbeknown to me, the clock was correct, just some of the LCD bars had stopped displaying. I put this down to some kind of mechanical/electrical stroke :oops:

Now I am unable to disengage the alarm or drop the deadlocks using the key in either the driver or passenger side lock. It does lock, yes, but no deadlocks.

I keep meaning to have a look at the wiring but meh :p

Good luck!

Don't quote me on this....
But, I think there is a microswitch of some kind in the door/on the lock. If the lock is loose and doesn't activate the switch when turned, or the switch is faulty, the alarm is not de-activated. So, when you open a door, the alarm goes off as it's still in an armed state.

My old '97 would set the alarm off when unlocking from one door. I later noticed the lock was loose in the door.

Like I said, don't quote me on this, I could be wrong.

Back