Ash's Project

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zinfandel

So, to be honest there's not going to be anything particularly interesting in here! It's just going to be bog standard stuff and mainly it's a log so I can keep track of the things I want to get done.

So this is the car, I bought her on the 24th of July for £700.

pjmW58F.jpg

Mechanically she seems in good condition. A few rattles here and there (More worryingly, one at about 2000rpm which I read something similar on here elsewhere and that turned out to be the Cam Belt).

Funds are limited to not very much at the moment so I'm just going to have to risk the cambelt until the end of next month (Although I might get the kit this week and see if I have enough pennies left to get my mechanic to do it for me!).

1. Cambelt, water pump and Aux belt.
2. Brakes, discs, braided hose kits and brake fluid change.
3. Suspension, springs, top mounts, front wishbones and droplinks. (Not sure on coilovers or just doing the front for now... I'd like to drop it but Any decent lowering springs are £100 plus £180 ish on shocks... Might as well spend the extra £200 on APs
4. Oil filter, fuel filter, spark plugs and oil change (Air and pollen filters done)
5. Back box is blowing. Advisory on last MOT so need to get that done. Done
6. There is the obvious arch and sill rust, I'm going to try and tackle this myself!
7. Aftermarket CD player. (Plus uprated front and rear speakers and an amp).
8. Air Conditioning Service
9. Tracking
10. Wheels balanced Done
11. Strip out interior and give it a good look around for rust and what not. I might do this first, last MOT advised underbody corroding and I've noticed a hole straight through to the floor in the drivers' footwell. Treat any signs of rust here and get any holes welded.
12. Get loose mid silencer heat shield refixed.
13. Get HCV replaced (This is working fine but been advised it's a good idea to get it done.
14. Replace rear bumper (Quite a lot of scuffs on mine, waiting for a picture from Ian).
15. Leather interior.
16. New alloy wheel inserts
17. Alloy wheel refurb.
18. When exterior rust treated, give her the cleaning of her life!
19. OS Mirror is not working
20. NS window sticking when rising Done thanks to excellent silicone spray tip on here!
21. Puma mats :D
22. Sanding headlights
23. HID Kit (Not sure on legality of these but the lights on the Puma are shite so needs to be done!
24. Rear spoiler

That's all I can really think of to get done! Spending £1000 + on a £700 car is a bit weird. To be honest I'm thinking of maybe selling her and losing a couple of hundred quid and adding some on to buy one in slightly better condition although to be fair, she's only done 77k. Was regularly serviced until 56k in 2008 and then did 20k in the next five years so with a bit of TLC she should be a very good example.

The only things on the list I'll be getting someone else to do is the cam belt/water pump/aux belt and the alloy wheel refurb. Also if my attempt at doing the paintwork fails horribly that will go to a body shop as well!

Also, could anyone tell me what the hell this is? Was in the boot for some reason. Looks like a light cover or something.

mQJ0jnp.jpg

Cheers for reading if you did. Looking forward to getting through these jobs :D.

Not sure what the plan is this weekend. First of all I need to see how much I get paid (Started a new job a few weeks ago and it's my first pay day) and secondly, I'm off to London on Sunday. I'm wary of doing such a long drive given what needs to be done, I'm terrified of the timing belt going! I might get the train. And to be honest the train would be cheaper which means more to spend on the car!

Ash

H07C1cL.jpg

Managed to tick a few more things off of the list. She's running much better with an oil change and fuel filter plus new spark plugs.

Doing 500+ miles this weekend, time to put her to the test :D

Latest posts

Back