Auxiliary Belt

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pumafi

Hello All

For the last few months or so there has been a noise coming from what I believe to be the auxiliary belt. It started off as just an annoying grinding/screeching noise coming from the belt. I haven't had the time or the money to have it sorted and its slowly got worse. Now the sound is much louder and is making a grinding noise when I steer. I should hopefully be able to get it repaired next Friday but I am wondering if I am doing any damage by still driving it. There is no problems with the drive of the car apart from the heavy/grinding steering and loud noise. When the car is idle I can hear the belt scratching as it goes around.

Also how much would this cost to repair?

Thanks

Hi :) have you checed the power stearing fluid level?? you might have a leek somwhere, that causes this :)

Cartman said:
Hi :) have you checed the power stearing fluid level?? you might have a leek somwhere, that causes this :)

I haven't checked that as yet? Where would you check this? The steering issue has only started over the last few days where as the auxiliary belt has been making a noise for the past few months so I presume they are connected as the steering issue started as the noise got louder. Doesn't the belt drive the power steering?

Probably one of the aux guide pulleys that needs replacing. And the aux belt might be a good idea to replace as well. Not expensive.

Worst case the noise is coming from cam belt or possibly water pump or steering servo (connected to aux belt).

I only ask because the grinding might have come from the power stearing pump bearing, and whn they get bad, they leek :) there is a tank for the power stering fluid in the engien bay, on the right hand side of the car :)

but Like xztraz says, the most comon fault is the aux belt tensioner pully :)

First thing check the fluid level it the bottle in the left front of the bay. Should be visible without taking the cap off but if so it needs half a turn and will then lift - its not a screw top.

If the level is OK then ideally the belt needs to come off to turn each pulley and see what is noisy.

Steering issue may indicate the pump although screeching does also indicate the belt isn't running, so the problems steering may be a side-effect of the belt being jammed elsewhere.

As well as turning the pulleys, its also worth having a good look in there for clean bits as the screech will also have probably worn away whatever wasn't running right.

I checked the power steering fluid level and its very low, about a third full. I will get some tomorrow and top it up. Hopefully this will solve the issue but will still get the belt looked at on Friday.

I couldn't wait till tomorrow so just popped to halfords and filled it up so its purring again! Why would it have gotten so low?

Quick update - After filling up the power steering fluid the car had dumped half of it out within 24 hours so I booked it into the garage for Friday.

After topping up the fluid on Monday its barely leaked anything, as far as I can tell overnight it drips a few times maybe and leaves a very small spot under the car.

Anyway the garage have said there are 2 leaks, one from a seal on the power steering pump and a second from a corroded pipe. They have quoted me £450 including parts and labour for a new pump and the corroded pipe. Does this seem like a good price? They have said its a very minor leak so I am not getting it repaired just yet and will hopefully get another quote from another garage.

The garage are not sure why it dumped half the fluid out that time, it might have been because I overfilled it or because it was almost empty when I filled it. I can't get it repaired till the end of Oct (maybe earlier) so hopefully it will be ok till then.

Maybe it leaks while you're driving. When you turn the steering wheel, I would assume it causes a pressure build up which forces the fluid out rather than just seeping.

can't say anything on the price, but it is not uncomon for the cooling loop pipe to corode and leak :( and if the pump has been driven over time whit air going in the system, it is likley that this is what has kiled the pump...

Its a fairly difficult job as access is limited but I'd struggle to pay £450 when you could probably get the parts together used for £50.

Appreciate they're not going to be brand new, but £450 is loads of money.

Where is the car?

Ian G said:
Its a fairly difficult job as access is limited but I'd struggle to pay £450 when you could probably get the parts together used for £50.

Appreciate they're not going to be brand new, but £450 is loads of money.

Where is the car?

Yep, that's more than I paid for it! They want around £325 for parts alone.

The car is in Manchester.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

If you can get it to Liverpool that's good news.

Just need to check what the 1.4 needs as I've only got 1.7 in stock.

Has it got air con?

Yeah I can definitely get to Liverpool.

No its doesn't have air con. Its a T reg.

Thanks

Back