Awww! The trusty Toyota died today

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XIIVVX

Mrs XIIVVX and I were headed off to the DIY sheds yesterday with trailer in tow when, at a set of traffic lights, I saw steam issuing from the bonnet.

A glance at the temp gauge told me all I needed to know and we pulled off to the side of the road, finding the engine bay looking a little damp and the rad looking a little dry.

Two quids worth of mineral water topped the rad up, but we didn't get very far.

Eventually, after about four hours in a handy nearby pub, Toyota and trailer were recovered home by the nice RAC man #2 (Nice RAC man #1 having diagnosed the problem as not solvable at the roadside)

I now await the verdict from my spanner guy. Will it be treatable, or is the vegetable oil burning Toyota finally off to the scrappy?

It will be a sad day if it is. Beyond its usefulness and economy, I have strong sentimental attachment to it, once having belonged to an ex of mine who died a couple of years ago.

Poor little Toyota :(

Will it need it's water works looked at (like a true old soldier) or is the head off it's rocker?

Hopefully it's just the water works.

Fingers crossed.

The family 1978 Datsun 120Y Estate had a similar problem.

Turned out to be a split radiator top hose. Fixed it and all was well until the sills finally succumbed to tin worm and it failed the MOT. Those were the only 2 things that went wrong with it in 12 years, bear in mind this was a car designed and built in the 70s too.

I wish we'd kept it as I would have restored and modernised it :cool:

Latest posts

Back