battery relocation

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SLEEMAN

hey guys

right i'll be putting the battery in the boot/cabin area yet to decide exactly where yet but will figure that out soon enough

I know I need a junction box and a battery box and cable

but question is what type of cable do I need for the negative and positive terminals?

Hi Slee..
Have a look on a website like Demon Tweeks. (other respected tuning retailers are available)
They sell all this sort of stuff (At top dollar!)
Even if you dont buy from them. They will give specs and often a write up of benefits/drawbacks etc.

You want welding cable, it's the best stuff to use and the cheapest for the application. There is no need to buy expensive 'battery' cable.

Look for something that's at least 16mmsq (if you're worried about weight) or if you're not, 25mmsq would be ideal.

You can also use tri-rated cable from electrical wholesalers (which I have because I got it free) but welding cable is better because it's so malleable.

Alternatively you could get the battery 'loom' from a BMW with the battery in the boot. They also have a BST, some sort of automotive battery disconnect should you need it.

awesome I assume i'll have to modify the starter cables as they have the round battery terminal clamps?

When I relocated my battery I connected all of the cables/wires on the negative battery terminal to the ground point to the right of the battery which is on the passenger side strut tower.
The cables/wires on the positive side were joined together using crimp on ring connectors and a nut and bolt wrapped with a good helping of insulation tape! The cable that ran through the car was also joined at this point. Ideally you should use a proper boxed/insulated terminal box for this connection.
Once the battery is in its new location I terminated the positive cable (pulled through from the engine bay) with a proper battery terminal/clamp.
For the negative I got a short length of cable and terminated one end with the battery terminal/clamp. On the other end of this short length of cable I crimped on a ring terminal and bolted this through a hole i drilled in the inner metal work. I bolted it up using a nyloc nut so it doesn't work loose.
Any areas on the negative side that were going to touch metalwork I cleaned the paint off to ensure a good clean connection.

As said before, for the positive side make sure you use an insulated connector/box unlike what I did!

that's sounds simplistic! I've ordered some cable and a durite junction box. i'll let you guys know how I get on!

Latest posts

Back