Best Headlight Bulbs - Update

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phn

i know there have been several historical threads on this but I was wondering what upgraded headlight bulbs you would recommend now?

I'm Looking for something to improve the off yellow candles fitted to my Puma, without destroying the plastic lens surround.

Many Thanks for your help!

Philip.

phn said:
[post]365953[/post]
i know there have been several historical threads on this but I was wondering what upgraded headlight bulbs you would recommend now?
Same as then really. Not much changes in the world of headlight bulbs.

I put HB3 Ring XENON ULTIMA on mine, but the Halfords ones are reckoned to be OK as well.

Thanks for the reply - actually ended up getting some Osram Nightbreakers (Special offer on amazon ) I'll report on the difference once I have fitted them.

Hi,

Up til now my poor lights have not really been an issue, but over the last few months I am doing more night driving across county so the lights are not really adequate. I have just this minuet finished fitting the Ring HB3 bulbs just looking at the lights in daylight I can see a tremendous difference. My question is this, I have changed the main beam bulbs has any one also updated the dipped beam bulbs? and if so what bulbs were fitted.

Regards,
Richard.

RICHARD MANSFIELD2 said:
[post]366101[/post] My question is this, I have changed the main beam bulbs has any one also updated the dipped beam bulbs? and if so what bulbs were fitted.
Yep, I have and used Ring HB3. I left the main beams as they were as my main problem was on dip beam, which was positively dangerous as they were.

Just though I’d throw this in the hat.
The osrams are probably the best option but you can go one better but there’s work.
You can fit an 80w bulb that increases range and intensity and brings the car up to something more realistic but the wiring in the headlamps will melt after a little while.
I made up a new sub-loom to replace the original wiring and used the original connectors - bit of a pain but the end result is excellent and, it’s legal.

Waterboard said:
[post]366866[/post] Just though I’d throw this in the hat.
The osrams are probably the best option but you can go one better but there’s work.
You can fit an 80w bulb that increases range and intensity and brings the car up to something more realistic but the wiring in the headlamps will melt after a little while.
I made up a new sub-loom to replace the original wiring and used the original connectors - bit of a pain but the end result is excellent and, it’s legal.
Check your lenses after a while. You will see the extra heat is affecting the mirror finish on them.
The best thing you can do is to clean outside and polish it, protect it by clearcoat of paint to prevent them (re)turning yellow and clean inside best you can. Also, ADJUST the beam properly. You would be amazed at the difference it makes.
After doing all of it, the lights are not the best ones that exist, but are really OK.
Do everything BEFORE going for more powerful bulbs to see the difference

I hope no-one minds me resurrecting this thread - I thought it better to add a query here than start a new thread.

One of my dipped beam bulbs timed it very well to blow on my way to work this morning. The last time this happened I got one from Halfords - one of these...
http://www.halfords.com/motoring/bulbs-blades-batteries/car-bulbs/halfords-9006-hb4-car-bulb-x-1

However, despite it showing as correct on the Halfords in-store catalogue, it didn't fit. One of their chaps changed it for the right one - but I don't know which is actually the right one for the Puma. Does anyone on here know the correct Part No. from Halfords?

You need a HB3 / 9005 bulb. Halfords have never shown the correct bulb for the Puma.

https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/ford-puma-hatchback-1999-2000-v.html

Brilliant - thanks Dal. :thumbs: I think I'll buy a couple this time and keep some spare in the boot.

Latest posts

Back