Big time oil leak!!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scofield.1

Sadly I am putting about a litre of oil in each week!, its not cheap!!

A little investigation makes me think its a gasket in the crankshaft area.. I aint no mechanic!! So how much am I going to end up paying to get it fixed?? Any ideas anyone? and any recommendations not too far from loughborough?

I have succeeded in sorting the rockercover leak, thats all sound as a pound now. MOT this month, spent a little time yesterday fixing bulbs and now I even have a horn that works lol.

regards

Gary

If its the crankshaft oil seal its the same job as a cambelt change i.e. 3 plus hours plus whatever to change the oil seal. Iirc though the seal itself is cheap. How much you end up paying is down to who does it,Ford charge circa £70 per hour for labour.

I would hope for your sake thats its the rocker gasket still leaking,(having said that 1 litre a week is a lot maybe too much to be the rocker gasket) did you use a genuine Ford gasket?

Maybe you will be lucky and it will just be the sump gasket, or a loose leaking oil filter or a blocked crancase breather pipe / valve.

Good luck with it

It would be a good idea to give the engine a good gunking and a steam cleam so you can be sure where its coming from

Thanks for the reply. Its not the rocker, its sound as a pound. Oli filter nice and tight too, and sump all good too, sadly it seams I am heading for a nice big bill. Only possible hope is that it is the crankcase breather pipe then, but have no idea where that is lol. Will now have a little search

Thanks again

Gary

ok folks its time for an update! sadly the major oil leak got fixed... twice!! oilcrank gasket, and its still not good so its on to the oil pump!! (225+vat new or 56 secondhand!) I am going for the new, lets hope its solved this time! and then that the MOT goes thumbs up too!!!

Gary

MOT pass!! so pleased with that one but having forked out £503.98 I am a little concerned that there is still a little oil dripping from the car!! I am guessing that it is just what had spilled before, but have put a little dish under for the night to see how much comes out. I am not gonna be a happy bunny if I have to take it back. Also not sure that the rockercover gasket is tight. I have fixed it twice, once and now they have done it and I can see a little weeping... Is it possible that something is warped?

Gary

Congrats on the MOT always makes for a good day :thumbs: As far as the rocker gasket goes using a Ford gasket perhaps using gasket sealer and torquing it down properly to 10nm iirc is the way to go.

Taking care cleaning the surfaces is important as is checking for any damage to the cover, someone recently had a slight nick in theres that caused a leak can't remember who though Jacko? eldude?

You could be right old oil could be taking its time running off the engine

Good luck with it

two days of drips now from lower down and the rocker cover gasket also definately leaking again..... is the garage liable and obliged to do this again? I have agreed to go back to them in a weeks time if it is still dripping from the oil pump/crank seal but the rocker cover has now been done three times!! Once with just gasket, then with gasket and sealant and now whatever they have done, I am guessing just gasket. I am just feeling like they must hate my car, they replaced crank gasket twice and then oil pump, not feeling very tough on this one.

Gary

Ok,,, serious request for advice...

Has anyone ever used oil leak stopper?? There are various ones available that claim to expand the original gaskets to proper size and therefore stop leaks, is it a scam or true??

Help!! I cant afford another 500 squid!!

Gary

Have you had no joy in the garage fixing the rocker cover gasket yet? Those oil stoppers are only good for small leaks and wont last forever. I'm new on here and already read the thread on how to fit a new one. Mine leaks so that will be done, plus blown back box and silly little things like clips missing in the interior. Oh and ARB rubber mounts

Good luck with it mate

Gary

I might try one out, I did the rocker cover gasket myself, once just the gasket and then the second time with sealant too. Now they have done it and it has failed again so I am really noot sure now. i think I will ask them about the breather pipe being blocked as I have been told if it is it can cause leaks at the weakest points.....

The mechanis is just not going to like me at all!!

Gary

gary is the son of Garth. My dad had that name so that should be allowed too :lol:

The whole concept is losing its exclusivity now, will have to think again before opening the all new Gary's only thread :(

Back