brake fluid change

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i just got one of these this week so im going to be changing mine i would think less than 1litre will do the job if not 500ml
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GUNSON-G4062-EEZIBLEED-CAR-TYRE-BRAKE-BLEEDING-KIT-/180529708769?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a0868bee1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170463321540&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Luke
Do what I did:
1. Go to Halfords and buy 2 x 1 litres @ £12.29 per litre. Or a 250ml backup at £5.29.
2. Change brake and clutch fluid - I used just under 1 litre (2nd litre was just in case).
3. If you use under 1 litre, take the other sealed bottle back for a cash refund.
4. Job done!

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_204323_langId_-1_categoryId_165750" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Out of interest, how do you bleed the clutch. I was pumping the clutch pedal when the guy who fitted my clutch was doing something in the engine bay and wasn't interested then, but I am now as I'd like to 5.1 my system too when time allows.

And what order do you have to do the bleeding if your doing clutch and brakes??

Doesn't matter whether you bleed the brakes or clutch first.

Brake sequence ( Disconnect the battery before commencing and do not reconnect before you are finished):
1, LH rear
2. RH front
3. RH rear
4. LH front

The clutch has a bleed nipple under the car where the pipe connects to the clutch.

I used the Gunson pressure product, no pedal pumping required, so no assistant needed.

Cheers Rick.

Why disconnect the battery????....it's not electrical. Never had to in the past and had no problems because of it.

I like to bleed stuff the old way, grab a mate to do the dirty stuff while I squeeze the pedals....lol

There's an explanation in the Haynes Fiesta Manual, but the main bit is:
"Failure to do this could lead to air entering the ABS hydraulic unit requiring the unit to be bled using special Ford test equipment."

So what's the best way with the bleed kit I've had it a week and haven't even taken it out the box yet

YOG said:
There's an explanation in the Haynes Fiesta Manual, but the main bit is:
"Failure to do this could lead to air entering the ABS hydraulic unit requiring the unit to be bled using special Ford test equipment."

Weird, I wouldn't have thought anything could go wrong if you don't have the ignition on and you keep the fluid reservoir full while bleeding the system.

Thanks for the advice....probably still do it with the battery connected so you can say you told me so if something goes wrong...lol

pumadad2010 said:
So what's the best way with the bleed kit I've had it a week and haven't even taken it out the box yet

I opened the box and read the "Instructions"". :roll:

Back