Brake upgrade DIY

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lud1konj

Got some questions, hope for some replies :)

So I got an offer from a guy working at a Ford scrapyard for a pair of Mondeo V6 (4x108) brake calipers, rotors and pads but I wonder how big of a hassle is it to install them on my Puma (I currently have the 240 mm ones, these are 280 mm ). Would I need a skilled mechanic or is it a simple DIY job?

Also, I have another offer on the table (which is noticeably cheaper) and that is for the post '00 Puma 260 mm brake caliper, rotors and pads. Being that they are Puma brakes I presume they are a simple "plug and play" kind of installation and even someone like me (desk jockey) can install them...or am I wrong?

...Which ones to go for? Is the difference in braking worth paying for any of these or should I just get some quality rotors and pads for my existing brake system ?

There are a few how to's on brakes on the site, I've just fitted some 280mm st150 discs pads and calipers to te from of my 1.4 which is currently being use by another member and it was a half hour job, longest part was bleeding them.
I know one upgrade setup requires drilling of holes but I can't remember which of the top of my head.
Deffo upgrade from the 240mm as they are shit, big time shit. They barely brought the ex's ka to a stop

St 150 on mine too.
Easy fit, good choice of pads too
Good time to replace 10 year old + brake hoses too.

One thing to watch out for is that propeller wheels need 3 mm spacers to clear front of calipers, zetec s style wheels on my thunder do not need spacers to clear. Discovered that spare was a prop the hard way.....

...if I go for the 280 mm ones I'll need to drill and stuff, right? So better to go to a mechanic to do it? The guy is asking around 220 € (260 euros) for the brakes and the work. Is that an ok price ? Should I rather go for the 260 mm...is it a straight on fit without any hassle ?

He didn't say anything about my prop wheels not fitting the Mondeo brakes...he actually pointed out that the 300 mm won't fit a 15'' alloy but 280 mm would fit. Is he wrong about that ?

The ST170 caliper requires the hub drilling so assume the Mk3 Mondeo caliper will need the same.

My ST170 calipers with 300mm discs fit under my 15" wheels but they are Compomotive CXR's.

Lud1konj said:
...if I go for the 280 mm ones I'll need to drill and stuff, right? So better to go to a mechanic to do it? The guy is asking around 220 € (260 euros) for the brakes and the work. Is that an ok price ? Should I rather go for the 260 mm...is it a straight on fit without any hassle ?

He didn't say anything about my prop wheels not fitting the Mondeo brakes...he actually pointed out that the 300 mm won't fit a 15'' alloy but 280 mm would fit. Is he wrong about that ?

The mondeo calipers with 300 mm st 170 discs need the caliper carrier grinding to get a 15" wheel on, wether a propeller wheel is dished enough to clear the face of the caliper I can't tell you.
I do 100% know that an et34 propeller wheel will NOT clear a st150 caliper without a 3mm spacer, my thunder wheels which are et34 DO clear without a spacer.

As pointed out above, st150 is 280mm and straight fit. The carrier mounts are same as puma M10 as opposed to mondeo M12

Thanks for the info on the 300 mm and 280 mm brake systems...I'm still considering the 260 mm from a post 2000. Puma. The asking price isn't as steep and money is an issue :|

How much of an improvement are we talking about when going from the 240 mm to the 260 mm ? Does it fit the prop wheels without spacers and is it a straight fit? ...I need a less fade brake because I tend to travel to a hill nearby (it's like 3400 feet high) and whilst going down its winding roads the brakes fade badly (last time I felt like I was pushing the pedal through the floor...very scary and dangerous :x ).

Any particular make of grooved discs? ...I was thinking about Mintex for the pads.

...So the 260mm are an easy fitment and I won't need anything more than just the calipers, discs and pads. My prop 15'' wheels will fit with no problems?

Lud1konj said:
Thanks for the info on the 300 mm and 280 mm brake systems...I'm still considering the 260 mm from a post 2000. Puma. The asking price isn't as steep and money is an issue :|

How much of an improvement are we talking about when going from the 240 mm to the 260 mm ? Does it fit the prop wheels without spacers and is it a straight fit? ...I need a less fade brake because I tend to travel to a hill nearby (it's like 3400 feet high) and whilst going down its winding roads the brakes fade badly (last time I felt like I was pushing the pedal through the floor...very scary and dangerous :x ).

Yes 260mm will go behind props no problem.

I have some 2001 260mm calipers off my thunder in the garage, good condition, I changed to st setup as I wanted brakes with a bit more modern feel. That said my discs and pads were a bit manky! free to a good home, but postage costs would need covering. Not sure on cost though without weighing them and nipping to post office for a quote.
As you have mentioned euros I take it you at ROI?

Im running 260's with EBC grooved/drilled disks an EBC pads, alot better over standards an alot less fade.
Mrs had 240's but i swapped them for 260's an you can notice the difference.
Remember the brake fluid will also improve performance as its hydroscopic an absorbs water over time.

Ginger Tom said:
I've got a set of grooved and drilled 260mm discs that are brand new and come with new pads, cost me £100, make me an offer and they are yours

Thank you for the offer and the information on the brakes Ginger Tom, however I have a discount at my friend's automotive parts shop so whatever I offer you will simply be a slap in the face (which I don't want). Hope that's ok, cheers :)

Severio said:
Im running 260's with EBC grooved/drilled disks an EBC pads, alot better over standards an alot less fade.
Mrs had 240's but i swapped them for 260's an you can notice the difference.
Remember the brake fluid will also improve performance as its hydroscopic an absorbs water over time.

Thank you for sharing your experience, I'll probably go with the more reasonably priced 260mm's so I can get some better quality rotors, pads and fluid.

@ fairlight - I have sent you a private message :wink:

Hi i changed my 240mm for 260mm grooved and drilled with mintex pads and the difference in braking was really surprising no fade yet even slowing from 110mph to a stop in a hurry is great, got the set of discs and pads from LK Performance parts and was bout £80 i think and a couple of used fiesta mk5 calipers for £40, overhauled the calipers and painted them and swapped it all in a couple of hours, best upgrade i've done!!
Bub

Do I gather the calipers are different on the post 2000 Pumas too, not just the increase in disk rotor size from 240mm to 260mm?

Back