Broken stud on the rear brake drum

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardmonkeys

Hi all, finally got round to replacing the rear tyres,

Anyways, as I was loosening the nuts off...the stud snapped!!!

dd69179686e26dec6f51af8cc108c5c7.jpg

Is this a case of just replacing the drum?? Hope so!! Is it An easy job??

Bad luck with that one :-(

drum replacement is fairly easy (check some posts on here) but does require a large socket and an even larger torque wrench to put it back correctly with, you also have to take care not to damage the bearings and replace the hub nut for a new one

you probably could knock the old stud out and replace but above still applies so I think I would go along the complete drum if you can get one

Also if you're sourcing a new drum, there are two types, 180mm and 200mm.

Black Edition will be the latter I would think.

Although you may get away with just the stud, sure they will knock out. Question is what damage you would do to the new one taking it out of the donor drum.

You don't need to replace the drum....
The stud should just knock out with a drift (once the drum is removed)
and a new stud can be whacked in and as you tighten the wheel up it will bed it in. (check every day or so and nip up a nessesary...

Do you know how easy they come out to be kept once they've been in a while? I've none to hand just now :lol:

I have some aftermarket wheels which were on my car when I got it.
They are awfully thick around the hub. I was horrified to find they were only held in by 5 turns of the nut! A standard wheel takes 12 turns!!!
So I investigated fitting longer studs.
The drum stud just popped out with a (not excessive) whack of the hammer.
The fronts, on the other hand, are a tw@...

So your problem Monkey, should be a simple and cheap fix :wink:

Back