C1967 & P1479

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CherryVimto

I've bought an ODB scanner and connected it up using FORScan and found 2 codes...
Could someone help me out with some info as to where I start to diagnose these... or what the cause may be..?

Code: C1967 - RDO Short circuit to ground.
Module - Instrument cluster
Diagnostic trouble code details
RDO short to ground.
On a gasoline vehicle the RDO is used to inhibit fault codes that may illuminate the MIL as a result of air induced misfires.

Code: P1479 - FCHIGH primary circuit malfunction
Module: Powertrain control module
FCHIGH primary circuit malfunction
The code is set when a difference between the actual high fan controller output circuit state and the requested state is detected.
This DTC may be caused by:
Relay
Shorted FCHIGH circuit low
Open FCHIGH circuit.

After a bit of research I have found the following:
C1967 is possibly related to the low fuel level indicator - I don't think the low fuel light actually comes on although the gauge reads fuel level OK. The fuel tank and pump has been removed for a fuel pump replacement (pump only - sender is original) so maybe I have mucked something up or trapped a wire when putting the tank back...?

P1479 is possibly related to the cooling fan high speed circuit - I'm running a Puma loom with a Mk5 radiator & fan both of which are single speed. I have tonnes of spare relays so will swap the relay although I do know for a fact that the fan does work.

I'm running an FRP ECU and don't actually have a MIL/engine check light on.

I did have this ECU in another car so I don't know whether the P1479 code was set by the other car? If the ECU was unplugged/not installed in a car for several months, would the fault code still be stored?
Am I correct in thinking that fault codes are only cleared once the fault has been rectified or if they are cleared using ODB software?

I've bought an ODB scanner and connected it up using FORScan and found 2 codes...
Could someone help me out with some info as to where I start to diagnose these... or what the cause may be..?

Code: C1967 - RDO Short circuit to ground.
Module - Instrument cluster
RDO short to ground.
On a gasoline vehicle the RDO is used to inhibit fault codes that may illuminate the MIL as a result of air induced misfires.

Code: P1479 - FCHIGH primary circuit malfunction
Module: Powertrain control module
FCHIGH primary circuit malfunction
The code is set when a difference between the actual high fan controller output circuit state and the requested state is detected.
This DTC may be caused by:
Relay
Shorted FCHIGH circuit low
Open FCHIGH circuit.

After a bit of research I have found the following:
C1967 is possibly related to the low fuel level indicator - I don't think the low fuel light actually comes on although the gauge reads fuel level OK. The fuel tank and pump has been removed for a fuel pump replacement (pump only - sender is original) so maybe I have mucked something up or trapped a wire when putting the tank back...?

P1479 is possibly related to the cooling fan high speed circuit - I'm running a Puma loom with a Mk5 radiator & fan both of which are single speed. I have tonnes of spare relays so will swap the relay although I do know for a fact that the fan does work.

I'm running an FRP ECU and don't actually have a MIL/engine check light on.

I did have this ECU in another car so I don't know whether the P1479 code was set by the other car? If the ECU was unplugged/not installed in a car for several months, would the fault code still be stored?
Am I correct in thinking that fault codes are only cleared once the fault has been rectified or if they are cleared using ODB software?
Hi @CherryVimto . Did you ever get to the bottom of this C1967 code?
I have it on my Millennium and although I'm not aware of any symptoms I'd still like to resolve it if possible.
Thanks

CherryVimto,
Hi, I can't really help with these particular problems, but only with your comment about the C1967 possibly relating to the low fuel warning signal!

I had my 1.7 for 20 years and always tried to fill up when it got down to a quarter of a tank, to avoid any dirt, water, etc. getting drawn in from the tank, especially as it got older, so never had the low fuel warning light come on.

However, after having having the tank out, flushed and fuel lines replaced for one MOT, I was happy to run it lower. Before the following MOT, I ran it really low, to fill up with Premium Unleaded, so I could take it for a real blast up to The Lakes. That was intended to be a bit of an "Italian Tune-up", to try to run the Cat hotter on a long run before it's upcoming MOT!

As I was waiting behind a car at the pump, my low fuel warning light came on, for the first and only time ever. I pulled forward and put just 34 Litres in, so on the 40 Litre tank, it must only come on at 6 Litres remaining (approx. 1.3 Gallons and 50 Miles, on the claimed 39mpg!). If you've never let your tank get that low, you may never have had the light trigger!

I did also did have a code show up years before, relating to the fuel level sensor (can't remember which exactly, now), but that was when I had a slightly erratic fuel level gauge for a short while. I'd bottomed out on a deceptively sharp dip on a country lane and the fuel level sensor hadn't seemed to like it! 😚 :ROFLMAO:

CherryVimto,
Hi, I can't really help with these particular problems, but only with your comment about the C1967 possibly relating to the low fuel warning signal!

I had my 1.7 for 20 years and always tried to fill up when it got down to a quarter of a tank, to avoid any dirt, water, etc. getting drawn in from the tank, especially as it got older, so never had the low fuel warning light come on.

However, after having having the tank out, flushed and fuel lines replaced for one MOT, I was happy to run it lower. Before the following MOT, I ran it really low, to fill up with Premium Unleaded, so I could take it for a real blast up to The Lakes. That was intended to be a bit of an "Italian Tune-up", to try to run the Cat hotter on a long run before it's upcoming MOT!

As I was waiting behind a car at the pump, my low fuel warning light came on, for the first and only time ever. I pulled forward and put just 34 Litres in, so on the 40 Litre tank, it must only come on at 6 Litres remaining (approx. 1.3 Gallons and 50 Miles, on the claimed 39mpg!). If you've never let your tank get that low, you may never have had the light trigger!

I did also did have a code show up years before, relating to the fuel level sensor (can't remember which exactly, now), but that was when I had a slightly erratic fuel level gauge for a short while. I'd bottomed out on a deceptively sharp dip on a country lane and the fuel level sensor hadn't seemed to like it! 😚 :ROFLMAO:
Hi @GreenEyedPuma.
My fuel light seems to work correctly. I have run the fuel down on multiple occasions and it comes on as expected when the gauge is getting close to the empty mark. In practice, I can only add 32 litres at this point so presumably there is still 8 litres, or 20%, in the tank. But the gauge works and the light works. That's why I'm confused by the code.
I had a new tank fitted a couple of months ago, so maybe that has triggered it, but I've cleared the code and it returns so there must be something to it.

Latest posts

Back