Cambelt change... any tips?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QJP

Hello, I am going to be sending my Puma into the garage for a new cambelt and I am atfer some advice.

Does the water pump need to be changed at the same time? I seem to recall someone on here stating that this wasn't necessary although I could be wrong.

What kind of price, on average should I be looking at? What items apart from the camblet (and pump, above depending) should be changed?

I know that the timings on a 1.7 are finicky, and whilst I do trust my garage I am nervous of doing this. :|

Water pump isn't necessary but is recommend as it easier to change if something goes wrong with the cambelt off.

Most people recommend these to be done

Cam belt + Tensioner
Aux belt
Idler pulley
Water Pump
Rocker cover gasket

Ford cambelt kit contains all parts required, Garage should use a cam locking tool, average price is £250-300.

Water pump = if it aint broke then dont fix it, had mine replaced on 2nd cambelt change - 10 years.

Well my garage did a stirling job... came in at about £300 plus they replaced the Aux. Belt Tensioner Bearing.

I am breathing easier now... just an offside bearing and CV to replace :roll:

Oh and the corroded brake pipes... brake hosings... the Service... the Hego Sensor :twisted:

:|

I still love my Puma though. Maybe I should get myself into S&M.

Just had my Cambelt done - did the aux belt and fuel filter as well as the rocker cover gasket - altogether £375 at Dagenham Motors in Hounslow. All done well - ready early afternoon and got some Nector points as well. Friendly and seemingly knowledgeable staff - was quite surprised! Probably do basic stuff myself - last service I had in my old car was the plug service (16 plugs V8!!) and rear discs etc I think it came to £900! This was a welcome surprise!

Back