Cambelt position - HELP?!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattblack_lude

OK guys, slightly concerned but will await your opinions, especially those familier with the appearance of the cambelt (or those that have changed one themselves).

SO my cambelt seems to be very far across to one side, its flush with one end, but by the look of the darker areas on the cams, id say that they have previous been in the centre.

Now, for one, is this normal? When we checked the cambelt on our track puma, it was also abit off like this, but not as much as this from memory.
Is this a sign of the tensioner failing? Or something else?
Also, any mechanics out there fancy trying to "guess the age" of the belt? The car has apparently done 84K, so it's likely an original belt, but i'll let those with knowledge comment..

Many thanks

It does look like it's been on there a while so you should get it changed as soon as you can, it really should have been done already but if you've got no record of it it's better to be safe

Yup, no record of any service history, so the last week has been a learning curve of trying to document everything i need to check. I have to just assume that nothing has been done, and work up from there.
I have seen a cambelt sit off centre before (i had a honda prelude VTEC that has a hydro tensioner also, looked almost the same as this) but still, the belt looks aged, but i didn't know whether the original standard ford belts would have any obvious writing or markings on it, although they probably would have been worn off pretty early.

My cambelt was off centre when I replaced it as well but I put it all back together before I started it up so I can't tell you if it's in the same position now. As Oilburner said any doubts get it replaced straight away along with the idler(Ford part only) and the water pump.
Barry

It is known for the belts to sit on the edge of the cams like that. Mine was when I bought the Puma and the new one did after it was changed.

Your second picture quite clearly shows wear marks in that belt. I'd be getting that changed pretty sharpish.

Cheers guys, reassuring that it can sit on the side without it being detrimental, but i expected it to be the original belt, what a bugger :-(

Sadly the cheap bargain Puma is soon starting to look expensive, with the need for a new clutch soon (atleast within the next 5,000 miles) new cambelt, full service plus additional cosmetic & choice bits.

Think i'll be driving it like a grandad until a new belt is on :|

This happens often because the cambelt tensionet is getting quite worn and the pulley on the tensioner runs at a slight angle.
If it wasn't for the cover the belt would fall off the other pulleys.
Cambelt service asap. You don't want the tensioner to give up completely (engine-killer)

Back