Camber adjustment

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andras19871

Hi,

Is any of you have a solution where can you get adjustable camber plate, or any other solution how can you change the camber on the car, since my car have been lowered and the garage said they can not adjust it and also because of this my toe setting is wrong and can not even correct properly?

Thank you in advance,

Andras

Hi :)

It is true, the camber on the Puma is fixed, and can not be ajusted whitout modefying the car.

I have seen some people modefy the towers, to take adjustable camber plates, but this is a lot of work, and needs to be done corectly.

However, lovering a Puma, even thoug the amber wil be wrong, the toe in should still be easey to adjust to the corect settings...

Arian

My silver puma was lowered to the point where the front tyres were nearly hitting the chassis on full compression and my local garage had no trouble putting the tracking correct. Maybe take your car to a different garage, it sounds like the one you was talking to doesn't know what they are talking about. If they try to tell you that the increased camber will destroy your front tyres tell them to get lost. I spent many hours online researching camber when I lowered mine and the general consensus is that the increased camber will not do much damage to the tyres but the toe out you get from lowering will :)

As above I doubt if lowering the car will have any affect on the tyres as so long as they are aligned correctly they can absorb any distortion caused by a change in camber angle, lowering in effect is little different to loading the car with passengers and luggage

Toe in though is more important ( and will quickly destroy yours tyres and handling) but can easily be sorted whether the car is lowered or not, go somewhere else and get it done.

Guys,

Thank you very much, i really appreciate your help. I will go and find an other garage to try to sort the toe.

So if i understand correctly, the camber angle is not a big issue in this case then and leave that option to fit an adjustable camber plate?

Also the two side is not equal in the camber angle, i mean one side has more negative camber, is it normal?

Thank you.

Hi Andras
If the car has been lowered equally on both sides the camber angle should be the same on both sides.
Barry

andras19871 said:
[post]348683[/post] Guys,

Also the two side is not equal in the camber angle, i mean one side has more negative camber, is it normal?

Thank you.

It just mans one side had some hit previously and it is bent a bit. But, if it is so, it is being so regardless of your lowering the car

Thank you very much. Actually the difference is not big on the two side, just it was a bit odd for me.

Once I will go to an other garage I let you know what is the result. :)

Thanks again.

a rule of thumb is that the camber is ok, if the difference is no more then 1 degree, side to side. so if one is - 1.3 and the other is - 1, then the difference is 30 minutes, that is accsseptable.

that is pretty much the standard tolerance, but anymore then that, and you wil start to have problems

I would se if the damper could be bent, I have a friend how has had 2 pumas, both with slightly bent dampers, it's not realy notisable when driving, but you se it when it's on an alignment machine, and we saw it when the damper was removed from the knuckle :)

The damper is brand new. Everything is changed for new parts for the suspension. That is why when I done all the changes went to the garage to align it and they said they can not do it :(

Cartman said:
[post]348702[/post] a rule of thumb is that the camber is ok, if the difference is no more then 1 degree, side to side. so if one is - 1.3 and the other is - 1, then the difference is 30 minutes, that is accsseptable.

that is pretty much the standard tolerance, but anymore then that, and you wil start to have problems

I would se if the damper could be bent, I have a friend how has had 2 pumas, both with slightly bent dampers, it's not realy notisable when driving, but you se it when it's on an alignment machine, and we saw it when the damper was removed from the knuckle :)

So mine looks like this, this is what I got from the garage, do you think is still acceptable?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    993.8 KB · Views: 264
That camber loks fine to me :) I would not putt to much effort into trying to correct it any more.... you will never get it perfect anyway, te car has most likely flexed a little, or the subframe, may have moved, either way, it's whitin the accssepted tolerance, so I would not bother anymore whit it.

the toie in / out however is a different storry :)

When you get the toe corrected you'll find that the camber and castor will be slightly different anyway.

Plus it is the rear that is bothering you. You can correct it by putting this at the back: http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/camber-shims
Mind you, that means you will have to take the drums off and that means you have to take the ABS sensors down which is PIAS job as they are rusted in like hell by now.

But the thing is: you can correct it to a zero value at the rear

Thank you very much for all your replies.

Honestly I was really worried about the camber angle, but since you think it is fine and just do the toe, it makes me happier:) don't have to spend a fortune on the camper plate.

Also this looks like a good thing for the back, since they said as well, it is nothing I can do with the back toe. I definitely have to find a better garage, it seems like they have absolutely no idea.

Hi,

one more question, when you put the whole front suspension, when you fix together on the very top with that small iron "cap" which has a rubber beside it (sorry i can't describe it any better). Is that normal you can turn it around? It has no gap between the cassis and this small cap, but i am able to turn this small cap.

I hope you can understand like this what i mean :)
I attached a picture of this small cap.

Thanks

Attachments

• 12782115_910712029049940_785048273_n.jpg
    12782115_910712029049940_785048273_n.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 232
I have never tryed turning mine but there is usually a gap between the bottom of that part and the top of the turret so I wouldnt worry too much about it :)

Back