Carbon Ideas Thread. ideas of bits that could be made.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which Carbon Parts would you buy for your puma??

• single skin foam cored bonnet. (use standard hinges, pins/aerocatch at front)

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Carbon bootlid, double skinned, foam core reinforced. (standard hinges and loop, no wiper motor)

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Carbon doors, inner and outer. Metal reinforcement at hinges.

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Gear lever surround including cubby hole

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • passenger airbag cover on dash (non airbag cars only)

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • glovebox lid

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • steering column surrounds upper and lower

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • carbon roof, foam cored.

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • FRP style cam cover, smoothed design for moulding.

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters

warrenpenalver

Hi all.

This thread is to guage ideas of which parts to make out of carbon. The idea being that if a particular part is popular enough then i might make it.

I am looking for people to vote for parts they would actually pay for, not just wish lists/dream parts as obviously if no one is actually likely to buy a part there is no point me making it....

if there are any bits not listed then reply and i will add it.

I may make body panels but obviously i dont intend to compete with performance trim and others and most of my exterior panels will be aimed towards motorsport/trackday users so will not come lacquered and super shiney or have a thick (read as pointless extra weight) gelcoat on them. If people wanted them lacquered or super perfect finish either buy performance trim stuff or get a part laquered locally.

Yeah Id be interested in doors, boot and bonnet depending on the cost. Saves me messing about doing them out of fibre glass at work.

Could you do the heater console too? Just an idea since everything else from the interior is in there? :)

pricing for a lot of bits i wouldnt know until i measured it all up. I would definitely do stuff cheaper than manufacturers like performance trim etc. it just wont be half the price as the materials alone cost more than that plus mould cost etc etc. I dont have the buying power of a big company either.

If i did heater console it would have to be a bare skin that you cut up your current heater panel to fit. Could be done but youd loose the illumination.

Erm...

Frp splitter real carbon
Door mirror surrounds
Silver dash surround and other silver bits like window button etc...
Under floor trays
The little splash guard things that are screwed to the rear wheel arch

Just a few ideas

Bonnets, tailgates, doors you can buy from performance trim or nurmotorsport. Can even get carbon strut braces from germany :)

I'd defo be interested in the door mirror surrounds, And the little rear splash guards on the bumper are a great idea. Think they would sell really well on eBay. Howabout the black piece of plastic in the front bumper? I'd buy one of those defo. Can you give us a rough pricing guide? Nothing exact just some ball park figures for a few bits. Like how much for the bumper part? I want one! :grin:

I'll have to measure stuff up to do pricing really. Id of thought the bumper black bar would be at least £100 due to the material as its a folded over design.

the rear arch spats would probably be reasonably cheap, something like 50-60 a pair as if i remember right are simple curved mouldings with holes for screw fixings.

Youll find with a lot of carbon parts, the small items will be disproportionately expensive due to the complex shape or complex fixings bumping up the moulding cost and labour costs.

eg a bonnet might cost £500 of which £400 is materials where as the bumper trim your suggesting would be at least £100 yet it uses far less than 1/5 th of the raw carbon but in moulding terms is a bit more complicated if you get me.

Also some small complex parts you cant really do with resin infusion so you have to use prepreg carbons which are almost 4 times the cost per square metre but have the advantage can be cleanly cut like card, and are sticky so will hold in place on a complex mould.

You will find for that reason a lot of manufacturers will generally use pre-preg for small parts or anything with any complex shape as although its more expensive, it saves on the labour costs so from a business sense is cheaper.

not measured it mrmechanix. this is only an ideas thread. when i design new items i will put up a group buy thread to ensure i get enough interest to cover moulding costs.

Parts i want for my car i will soak up moulding anyway as im making them even if no one else does.

with carbon stuff its a bit of a catch 22, a lot of people wont commit hundreds to a large body panel unless they can see what one looks like, yet a business wont make one unless they have their moulding costs covered by a group buy. Thats why the tailgates havent took off with performancetrim. they qoute something daft like £1500 to do a mould where as i can do it much less due to lack of business overheads.

I find it interesting that most people (according to the poll) would take weight off the rear of the Puma. It needs it most in that area in my opinion.

Yours doesn't count though Warren!

carbon dipping looks rubbish so i wouldnt even consider it. vynl covering looks ok from a distance but anyone can vynl cover a small panel themselves.

I imagine some of them have carbon bonnets so it balances out.

mikey s said:
Erm...

Frp splitter real carbon
Door mirror surrounds
Silver dash surround and other silver bits like window button etc...
Under floor trays
The little splash guard things that are screwed to the rear wheel arch

Just a few ideas

After tinkering around with the rear abs sensors it occured to me that it would be nice if my brake disc Splash shields were carbon instead of rusty :)

Latest posts

Back