changes to insurance laws

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

expatscot

Difficult to know which title to give this thread... but that will do, seeing as it does involve changes to insurance laws for motorists.

Basically, new legislation proposes that any car must be insured - even if off the road, on private land, whilst being worked on.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12150923" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some of you may not see this as any great difference to the current law, but it is.. and I could potentially have been caught out by this law (if it was already on the statute books).

I accept it may only be a minority of the legitimate world that will be caught out by this... but it is still an ass backwards law. Like so many pieces of legislation in this era of inept politicians and 'government by soundbite' it addresses symptoms, not the underlying causes.
My Puma is in need of some TLC so it has spent the last couple of months on my drive, often up on axle stands. It was taxed til the end of December, but insurance ran out in November - as it wasn't going anywhere - it is not the only car I have access to/use - I didn't bother renewing the insurance. It wasn't worth doing SORN - or reclaiming the one month of tax as I didn't know whether I would finish the 'work in progress' sooner or later (& getting new insurance instantly online made that a non-issue).

In theory I would have fallen foul of this law. This will only end up penalising the honest and traceable (if forgetful) motorist whilst the scrote element of society still flick the bird to the country's laws and do whatever they please.... safe because they do not register the cars properly anyway.

It will make negligible different to the uninsured motoring underclass.

Its seems a very ill thought law, If the car is on private property, and immobile, and sorn'd then I dont see the need to be insured

spike. said:
Its seems a very ill thought law, If the car is on private property, and immobile, and sorn'd then I dont see the need to be insured

I think SORN'd cars are in the clear... (unless seen on road).

The people caught by this would be those such as myself, outlined above. Where it was a relatively short period of time, so I didn't SORN the car, or claim tax back. However, because the car wasn't on the road/being driven I did not instantly renew my insurance.

Seems to me, rather than solving the problem, this is just a revenue raising matter whereby they compare the SORN database, against the insurance database and screw cash from those 'registered owners' that don't tally - which wont of course be the scrote, chav driver who hasn't properly registered his car in the first place.

Back