Cherie's Fiesta ST

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cherie

The little Zetec S tractor was a good little car; economical etc, but I just couldn't love it. So after handing the keys over to its new owner last night, I picked up this little beastie this morning:

DSC_4968.jpg

DSC_4973.jpg

1 owner from new, 18k miles. With a couple of the good options: the upgraded stereo & speakers, and climate control. It's in need of a clean at the moment, particularly the engine bay, as the previous owner works on a building site, and the paint needs a little love. It would have been done today, but it's my Mum's birthday, so we went for a drive in it instead. :wub:

Lovely car - I was even allowed a short drive :thumbs:

Well we started of with his'n'hers Pumas, so at least we've actually got different cars now.

Today was the first day that we've really managed to spend some time on the ST. As you'd probably expect with performance blue paint, there are more than a few swirl marks, but we've made a start on dealing with them.

Firstly, Dal clayed the roof as I can't reach all of it :roll: then I clayed the bonnet and most of the n/s before I run out of lubricant. Tried a substitute, but the clay was starting to stick to the paintwork, so need to pick up some more tomorrow if we're going to continue and finish the car off.

I have to say that I had a brief go with the machine polisher, but I'm far from confident with it, so Dal took it off me fairly quickly. :'(

So the photos of the progress so far... using a machine polisher (DAS-6 Dual action polisher apparently) and some Menzerna polish.

Bonnet: the polished bit on the left of the washer jet (obviously).
DSC_4987.jpg

('scuse the naff tax disc holder, that's since been changed to a black Richbrook jobbie. The silver one I had, that I'd had since my first puma, I left in the ZS. I figured it was about time for a new one with a twist off back, rather than having to undo all the little screws each time!)

C pillar before:
DSC_4991.jpg

and after ( the bit on the far left hasn't been done yet)
DSC_4994.jpg

The rear 3/4 panel part way through:
DSC_4995.jpg

The roof was also done, but no photos of that. After the polishing I went over the paint with Poorboys Black Hole, which has given the paint a slightly deeper colour.

There is still more to do: machine polish front wings, doors, boot, o/s 3/4 and half of the n/s 3/4, and bumpers. Go over those panels with the Black Hole, and then wax. And make a start on the frankly manky engine bay. So watch this space for another post tomorrow!

that looks like a great transformation, is that just a flattering angle though on the bits that have been done? or is it as good from any angle as well?

OOOOooooOOOOoooooh! Looking forward to part 2

Nothing like a good number two :)

I'd say the swirls are 95% gone on the bits that have been done. I started on a fine pad and low cut polish but it wasn't really getting them all. I then tried a 4/10 cut pad with a 4/10 cut polish and that brought the paintwork up 95% swirl free in one pass.

It didn't really need too much claying which was surprising. Hopefully get it all finished tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back