Cleaned my MAF today...

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evilrob

... chuffing 'eck!

Puma goes like Vanessa Feltz at an all-you-can-eat buffet now.

:thumbs:

Very much so. Didn't even look that dirty til I doused it in Wynns's carb cleaner and saw the state of the paper towels I'd put underneath.

Sorry folks - should have thought about taking some pictures while I was in there. Luckily someone else has done just that already:

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?p=138850#p138850" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oh it's THAT ... I thought that was called an air intake sensor... :lol: well at least I know I won't have any trouble taking that off :)

Probably depends how dirty it is. Your results may vary. Mine was filthy (though it looked clean), cleaned it - shit poured out of it, car runs much better now; especially at lower revs where some days she was a bit groggy until she'd had a good half hour or so to warm up.

If your car is already running well, I shouldn't imagine it would make any difference. That said, I wasn't unhappy with the way mine was driving - but now she's definitely much happier.

Takes 10 minutes to do and certainly won't do any harm!

evilrob said:
Probably depends how dirty it is. Your results may vary. Mine was filthy (though it looked clean), cleaned it - shit poured out of it, car runs much better now; especially at lower revs where some days she was a bit groggy until she'd had a good half hour or so to warm up.

If your car is already running well, I shouldn't imagine it would make any difference. That said, I wasn't unhappy with the way mine was driving - but now she's definitely much happier.

Takes 10 minutes to do and certainly won't do any harm!

thanks mate, if it only takes ten mins it`s got to be worth a go :thumbs:

Well, I should caveat that although it only takes ten minutes to whip it off, spray stuff into it, and put it back, you should probably leave it for half an hour or so to dry before refitting.

Oh, and don't do it on the grass - I've killed a dinner plate-sized area of my lawn. Apparently lawns don't like sprays predominantly made of kerosene!!

deejames said:
does it really make that much difference?

Yes in theory, especially when the engine is cold.

The wires in the MAF heat up and the cold air passing through it cools it down. The ECU measures how much current is needed to keep the wires hot which then tells it how much fuel to add.

If the wires are covered in oil etc then it's basically like you having gloves on, your body will say you don't need as much heat sending to your fingers. When this happens to the car it underfuels thus the reason for any lumpiness as it's not getting enough fuel.

That's the theory and I'm sticking to it....lol.

yippeekiay said:
deejames said:
does it really make that much difference?

Yes in theory, especially when the engine is cold.

The wires in the MAF heat up and the cold air passing through it cools it down. The ECU measures how much current is needed to keep the wires hot which then tells it how much fuel to add.

If the wires are covered in oil etc then it's basically like you having gloves on, your body will say you don't need as much heat sending to your fingers. When this happens to the car it underfuels thus the reason for any lumpiness as it's not getting enough fuel.

That's the theory and I'm sticking to it....lol.

sounds like a good expaination to me Yip :thumbs:

A lot of people seem to recommend an electrical contact cleaner from somewhere like Maplins. I used Wynn's carb cleaner, though it does say on the tin that it won't harm oxygen sensors, so I figured it'd be alright. So far so good.

That said, proceed at your own risk. And prepare for reduced fuel economy - I usually get a good 100 miles to 1/4 of a tank. Looked earlier this evening - fuel needle indicating 3/4 full, 88 miles on trip computer (I reset it at every fill up). Entirely due to hoofing it round now I can go faster quicker.

Latest posts

Back