Clutch kit and fitting?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3dcandy

Right my 1.7 needs a new clutch, rang around a few places and they're quoting me £140 for a clutch kit and like £200 to fit it...
Seems a tad excessive that does, so any recommendations please? I don't have the equipment to change the clutch at home or a place to do it :-(

you're always going to be looking around that much as the clutch kit needs to be the 3 piece really.
This includes the slave cylinder, which is the release bearing and working parts for the hydraulic clutch pedal all in one.

If you didn't replace this, it'd be a minimal saving with a large risk.

As I'm sure you know, the clutch is a gearbox-out job and would take around 4 hours minimum to do with labour, so you're not likely to find a cheaper price that is a job worthwhile having

thats a pretty good price to be honest, there are some ebay clutch kits 3 piece going for around £85 but you will still be looking at £150 to £200 labour so your not going to save a huge amount.

Yeah the guy at the garage is straight up and he said to look around for a clutch kit as he can only get Valeo and they're expensive in to him. No worries fitting a kit if I get one, said have a look around and get back to him. Seems a fair enough guy so I just wondered what you guys thought.

re a quote i got from Ford last week;

"It's £399 to do the clutch, but that doesnt include the slave cylinder because we like to get in there and check because sometimes they're not the problem" and then she wouldnt give me a price w/slave either :/

Was good practice to replace release bearings on cable clutches, so why should hydraulic ones be any different?

It goes like this; Do the two piece, go home, two weeks later the slave goes and they want same labour again on top! so always go for the 3 piece i'd say.

£200 labour sounds on the higher end of what i'd say sounds about right to be honest, especially if they do all three parts for the £140.

But like Noobrider says you can definately get a decent 3 piece for sub £100, and if youre lucky you can get good quaity ones like QH or a Borg and Beck.

Been checking around and it seems that people are asking about £140 - £160 for a "decent" clutch kit in their words. That's the bit that seems steep! I'm still on the search...

I have an LUK 3 piece clutch kit for sale (bought for mine but turns out i dont need it lol) £100+postage (bought for £130)

Cheers
Adam

My advice would be not to scrimp on the clutch as they are a weak point on the 1.7 as it is. False economy to buy a cheap/crap one.

Cheers - I have more pressing worries, some low-life keyed it and knifed 2 tyres...

If it's of any help, I managed to search high and low and from this site:

http://www.carparts4less.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I bought a Sachs 2 part clutch kit and a separate CSC for £103 ish, minus £15 using a code on the main site, so £88 I think it was

Back