Complete Newbie here!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabex

Hey, Just quick Intro..

I'm Jamie, i'm 23, i'm shit when it comes to cars!
But i do have a 1.7 Black Ford Puma!
I never really liked pumas until i had the luck to drive one, now i have the very same one!
I love it! I've had it about 8 months now and still love driving it.
My cars however always seem to die, so have decided to go to college doing a motor vehicle course. So any Mechanical tips would really help!
Anyways i recently had my clutch changed at a local garage for £270.
Nice job, a lot better than it was (a bit sensitive) but since then i have had oil leaking!! :cry:
Oil seems to be coming from just underneath the battery, so i googled my problem and realized it could be the gearbox breather plug! So i turned it round so the arrow was facing the front end of the car and pushed it down. Happy with myself i moved the car! Left it an hour and checked again, oil is still dripping on the floor! Now i don't know if its just excess oil or what! Please help! Here are pics.

IMG_1230_zps1462b73b.jpg

^Is this the right way round?^
IMG_1229_zpsd857dab2.jpg

^This is taken from underneath^

I can't comment on the direction of the arrow... and I can't be bothered to go outside and look. Sorry!

As for the oil.... you could try and clean it up with a cloth and wipe around underneath too. If the leak stops, the oil which had already leaked out could still run down making it look like it's still leaking.

And.... welcome!

Thanks for the speedy reply!! :grin:
Thought it could be that, will wipe all the excess oil tomorrow and check again tomorrow.

No probs. May be an idea to wait to see if the breather is right or not. No point in wiping it all up, just to find out the breather is now wrong and spits oil out everywhere!

Ahh thats a good point senate!!
I think so too quest, thanks for the replies.

The arrow points to the front of the car, if fitted the wrong way you end up with oil all over as you've found out.
Get the garage who fitted the clutch to clean the oil up and make sure the gearbox level is still OK as they'll have removed the breather to remove the gearbox.

Back