confusion on the 1.7

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

faster _ faster

Hey guys. ..

New here so pardon daft questions...

Long story short I have an early puma, I bumped into a previous owner and he said its got a different engine.. This has worried me as he couldn't give me anything more than the old one was a 1.7... can someone ID the engine please and put my mind at rest lol...

Also when I have the ac on it saps soooo much power it's unreal! I could be cruising along national speed limit and when the pump clicks on it feels like I've stepped of the loud pedal completely!

And lastly when I'm driving along between 4-4500rpm I hear knocking/clicking randomly it's defiantly mechanical... anyone had this and know solution?

Thanks guys :)

Visually it looks like a 1.7

As for the A/C... yes, it drains engine power.

As for the random clicking... no idea.

Yeh checked the 1.7 photos and looks like a 1.7 I'm guessing it was an engine cover t week or something...

Yup know that ac drains a certain amount of power when in use, however isn't it supposed to be nearly un - noticeable? There is a substantial lack of grunt till 4000rpm then it takes off like a rocket

Clicking kinda sounds like it's pinking or a cam follower rattling... I don't know as I don't usually drive with window open at 4000rpm lol

Maybe he was running along the lines of earlier ones were quicker. The engine was the same but the later ones were subject to tighter emission controls which saw a couple of additions which made it slower (Not much in rear world terms). As above it looks like a 1.7 block.

AC... open the windows instead.

Not sure on this last one, I guess it could be a few things, does it happen in ever gear?

One question: when was the timing belt done? WAS IT DONE? If not, do it ASAP. The metallic sound could be the timing belt tensioner on it's way out. Since you are saying the clicking is random, I would bet on the timing belt tensioner.
If it fails, the belt will get lose and the engine will get out of sync what would end up in valves hitting the pistons. If that happens -> VERY BAD NEWS.

It's about due to be honest... seems to have been done when the engine went in. Alas I know the misfortune of timing failure on cars..2 of mine have gone, one via snapped belt and one via woodruff key :(

However I did do a belt on one with a dodgy tensioner and the sound being made isn't the same.... However I will take your advice and change the belt asap

Could do with seeing under the cosmetic rocker cover. Also and what type of clocks do you have on the dash, half moon or full moon. May also be worth check the vin and engine numbers on Etis?

H

Vin checks out on paperwork
Engine number I'm yet to look at...

Half moon full moon?? All I know is my clocks are mechanical and tell me how fast I'm going +-10mph

All my Fiesta's and Puma's with air-con have a noticeable power reduction with the A/C on. Only my ST220 seems unaffected by it's usage.

Wow, if it kills that much power pump must be stiff as hell!

Oh Alan if what I've read is correct half moon mechanical clocks... I've also had look at etis, vin checks out but can't find information on engine number?

If you take of the plastic cover from the top of the block there should be a production stamp that will give an indication to the year and month it was produced? Look for the round stamp with the number in the centre and 1 to 12 around the out side. The only differences in the 1.7 engine was really the performance mods made to the frp. The early series 1 puma,s had different torque settings to later engines but that's about it.
The way I see it either A, the AC pump is seized up, or B, the timing is incorrectly set, which could explain the knocking noise.
Is the noise there just when the engine is under load or can it be heard if the engine is run when the car is stationary.

Latest posts

Back