Cooling issue

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardmonkeys

Hi all,

Just a concern, regarding the cooling of the Puma, the temperature gauge doesn't quite hit the middle of the gauge, maybe 1/4 way up, so still in the 'NORMAL' range, but the fan kicks in..every 5-7mins..the coolant was changed when the water pump was replaced 1700miles ago, so that's new..it's not causing that much of a issue...but don't want to leave it if it could be causing something to go wrong in the future...Any ideas??

Warren

The position of the gauge needle does seem to vary from Puma to Puma.

Have you got a digital mileometer? If so you can put the dash in to 'diagnostic' mode and scroll through to the coolant temperature. You can then see what the temperature is when the fan cuts in & out.

Someone has posted information on what the temperatures should roughly be for the fan operation, but can't remember where it is....

Do you have air con? Because if you do, the fans will run every now and then :)
and as stated above, the needle does seem to vary from car to car...

Howecer,,it os posible that the thermostat is stuckmopen, or that the New coolant is more efficiant than the old :)

Thanks,

The mileometer is analogue, but I'll find another way of finding out if I can.

It does have air con, (glad about this :)) I will buy a thermostat to see if that works, they are only cheap aren't they, even for a genuine unit.

Thanks for the replies :)

If you buy a thermometer get a probe type.
You can dip it in the coolant with the engine up to temp and take a reading with it. You should be looking at 91-93° odd. It should rise a little higher and then the fan cut in dropping temp back down.

For air con temp measurement you want less than 8° at the interior air vent on max. The cooling fan should cycle regularly as it removes heat from condenser.

An air con service is a must as the refrigerant carries the lubricant for the A/C compressor

HTH.

Gaz

Thanks, I have also noticed a hissing sound after turning the engine off, had a quick investigation under the bonnet, it seems to be coming from behind the engine bay, ( where wiper motors etc sit) but only a few seconds, then stops...strange one!

The hissing is the pressure dropping in the A/C system when engine is switched off. Heat increases the gas pressure. I found this out when I had the A/C serviced the other week. Modern A/C systems are designed so that the slight decrease in pressure is not heard.

I thought it was the cooling system but was reassured to hear this from the A/C guy.

It does prove your A/C still has some gas in it. Mine was down to 200 odd grams from 750 grams.

Back