Cooling issues

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lidds6841

A few week ago our 1.7 puma started to get very very hot while running about ,and then a hole appeared in the radiator water leaking every where.
I have changed the radiator today and also the thermostat (pig of a job) but the over heating issue is still there. Both hoses in and out of the radiator are cold also the radiator is cold. I refilled the coolant but it did not seem to disappear into the engine it just sat in the header tank and i still have about a litre spare that should have filled the system. I ran the engine well upto temp so the thermostat should open but the temp continued climb and then the rad fan kicked in.
I have removed the rad hoses to see if it was airlocked but nothing much came out
Could this be a dead water pump?? Anyone experienced anything similar?

To help get he air out, run the engine up to temp with the header tank cap off, once hot you should be able to let it cool down and replace the cap.

Although different, I've had this problem with my engine. A few revs helps the air to move sometimes, as well massaging the top rad hose.

If it was overheating before, it could be a failed water pump. Has it every been changed?

Could also be a failed headgasket - what's the oil like? Is there any white-ish 'Mayo' anywhere?

I've had it running with cap off and I cranked it over with radiator top hose off nothing came out.
Any one know what the housing under the coil pack does. At first I thought it was the stat housing until I discovered ford kindly hid it under the alternator where it's impossible to remove without removing half the engine bay. It has lots of cooling pipes into it and a few sensors presume thay are the temp and fan sensors??

I have no idea if this would help or not but along the sane lines as above - I run mine up to temp with the cap on, wrap my hand up very carefully, then unscrew the cap. The sudden change in pressure helps to draw out blockages. It might not help at all but its super easy to do so wouldn't be much fuss to rule it out before having to dismantle half your engine bay if you felt that way inclined :pose2:

I know you replaced the thermostat but it sounds like a thermostat problem to me, or as the others say a severe air lock.
Barry

If the thermostat is not open, nothing will come out of the top radiator hose, if the plumbing is the way I think it is in that engine?

lidds6841 said:
[post]349213[/post] I've had it running with cap off and I cranked it over with radiator top hose off nothing came out.
I suggest that you put the heater controls on full. Then half disconnect the return HCV hose at the engine end (the return is the left hand side, water pump side, as you look at the engine.) Finally crank it over with the rad. top off.

What *should* happen is that the mother of all airlocks will suddenly vent to air through that half off-hose and the water level in the expansion tank falling. Then it would just be usual procedures to get the remaining smaller airlocks out. Incidentally, bear in mind that water pump vanes spinning in air will give the impression of a non-functioning water pump.

However, this (airlock) does not explain why the vehicle was overheating initially, so investigations into the efficiency of the water pump (first priority) need to happen before driving away.

tuonokid said:
[post]349219[/post] but it sounds like a thermostat problem to me
Probability % of the replacement thermostat being defective is quite low.

tuonokid said:
[post]349234[/post] Ah Frank, that's not fair, a partial quotation considering what I put after that :)
Barry
My apologies, it wasn't my intention to quote you out of context. I was thinking as I was writing and only quoted the part relevant to my line of thought, at the time.

Anyway, here's the full post -

tuonokid said:
[post]349219[/post] I know you replaced the thermostat but it sounds like a thermostat problem to me, or as the others say a severe air lock.
Barry

:)

lidds6841 said:
[post]349209[/post] .......... and I still have about a litre spare that should have filled the system.........
How much did you put in?
Did you put the new thermostat back in exactly the same position (IIRC,there is a little "bypass toggle" that should be in a particular orientation)?

Back